HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taiyz
Admin Idol

PostSubject: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death   Thu 27 Feb - 2:39

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-killing-online-services-for-wii-ds-1532216462

That's some shit right there, but I suppose Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was pretty backwards in the first place, not to mention that simply uploading a score to leaderboards could take up to two minutes (Darkside Chronicles.) I mean Nintendo dropped WiiConnect24 last year, and a bunch of the operating system's services were taken down. It weirds me out how they're slowly disabling functionality, when the Wii U still relies on Wii-exclusive stuff like WiiWare.

I figure that they can't actually close that service because it's needed for stuff like the Skyward Sword save file patch, and indie games that were never ported to the Wii U eShop, but eventually the Wii Virtual Console will become redundant (unless Nintendo decides to never reinstate certain platforms.)

Dr Pepper. It's an intellectual drink, for the chosen ones.

Last edited by Taiyz on Thu 27 Feb - 17:19; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death   Thu 27 Feb - 11:00

Not surprising considering the 3DS and WiiU have been out for awhile now. Still, time to dust off Brawl for a grand finale.

View user profile
Taiyz
Admin Idol

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death   Thu 27 Feb - 17:17

Huh. Actually, it seems like they don't have a choice, thread title updated.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/1z2yqa/nintendo_killing_off_online_play_for_ds_and_wii/cfqbe6h
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/dslite/faq.jsp#online (checks out)

Seriously, they used fucking Gamespy? I think that really shows how few fucks Nintendo gave about online play last gen.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prinny

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death   Thu 27 Feb - 17:27

No wonder why Nintendo's online system was so bad, it was based on one of the worst online gaming systems ever made!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death   Thu 27 Feb - 21:39

Honestly, though, I cannot say I disagree with the sentiment that it would be wiser for Nintendo to outsource a proven provider than build their first run at online themselves. It probably would have been even worse. Back to the present, the imminent loss of Brawl, Goldeneye, The Last Story, and Pokemon Battle Revolution makes me sad. But then I'm one of the double-digit number of people who shed a tear for the loss of Battlefront's online, so that should tell you my state of gaming!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Taiyz
Admin Idol

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death   Fri 28 Feb - 0:05

Oh fuck that's right, I never even got a chance to play The Last Story online. Man that's REALLY lame.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suki
好き

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death   Fri 28 Feb - 1:33

All of my Pokemon games....... Shizzz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Celestial Phoenix

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death   Mon 3 Mar - 9:16

I will miss Brawl online, I just hope SSB Wii U/3DS makes up for it in the long term.

Problem is, I have yet to get a Wii U.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death   

Back to top Go down

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Wii and DS online services excluding WiiWare) dies an early death
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tales of Reservia :: General Subforums :: Video Games-
Jump to: