Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New 3DS

Go down 
+6
Divinus Fulmen
BlazingFiddlesticks
Taiyz
Txn
Celestial Phoenix
Moontoon
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMWed Sep 03, 2014 2:29 pm

The New 3DS has three more buttons than the old one, and I can't think of a single gba/ DS/3DS game that leaves a button unused, so yes, I am guessing that most if not all future 3DS games will incorporate these buttons.

The new 3DS will support Amiibo's while as far as I know, the old one doesn't.

There's going to be a port of Xenoblade Chronicles for the New 3DS, but not for the old one.

Furthermore:
Quote :
The new C-stick will be used in Dragon Quest X: Online, Final Fantasy Explorers, and Monster Hunter 4G to control the in-game camera function, and in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS to unleash Smash Attacks.

Which either means that it will involve a different button in the "old" 3DS versions, or rather button combinations. The more likely answer, I think, is that most if not all of them will not be playable on the current 3DS.

Sure, those last ones are just assumptions, but I'm still mad about them.
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMWed Sep 03, 2014 2:42 pm

The Xenoblade port is purely a hardware thing; the last hardware breakdown I read put the 3DS's processor as weaker than the Gamecube's, despite the rest of it being better than the Wii. Notice how even the Donkey Kong Country Returns port had a framerate drop, and that's a 2.5D game.
Back to top Go down
Shy Link

Shy Link

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMWed Sep 03, 2014 3:36 pm

Slivendiferious wrote:
Quote :
The new C-stick will be used in Dragon Quest X: Online, Final Fantasy Explorers, and Monster Hunter 4G to control the in-game camera function, and in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS to unleash Smash Attacks.

Which either means that it will involve a different button in the "old" 3DS versions, or rather button combinations. The more likely answer, I think, is that most if not all of them will not be playable on the current 3DS.

Dragon Quest X Online is coming out within the next 24 hours, while Smash Bros and Monster Hunter 4G have been advertised as also being playable on the 2DS, which means, hey, they must be compatible with the original hardware. The changes in control schemes are nothing more than what was already offered with the Circle Pad Pro, but now you can buy a system with the extra buttons built in instead of having to buy a separate peripheral. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Back to top Go down
Divinus Fulmen

Divinus Fulmen

Location : noun. a place of settlement, activity, or residence.

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Sep 04, 2014 12:50 am

You could always smash attack by pressing attack and quickly hitting a direction at the same time without the second stick on the GC controller.
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Sep 04, 2014 8:36 am

I didn't know those games were going to be released for the "old" 3DS as well, but I feel that it makes little difference.

If a game is designed with 3 extra buttons and better specs in mind, I doubt the other version of the game will play as smoothly as the extra button one. The "new" 3DS version will be preferable (by a longshot), is what I'm afraid of; and I think that therefore the interest of game developers in the old 3DS will decline pretty quickly.

I took the above examples of games I thought to be exclusive as the first signs of that happening.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Sep 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Considering that said games were being developed for the normal 3DS before the New one was even a thing, I highly doubt they'll play any sorts of "better" on the New one.
Back to top Go down
Celestial Phoenix

Celestial Phoenix

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Sep 04, 2014 2:49 pm

Divinus Fulmen wrote:
You could always smash attack by pressing attack and quickly hitting a direction at the same time without the second stick on the GC controller.

...Isn't that the normal/typical input for Smash attacks? The thing is, the c-stick actually gives competitive Smash players a small advantage as, believe it or not, it's faster to execute a smash through the c-stick than stick-button input. I learned this the hard way.
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Sep 04, 2014 5:28 pm

DreamSword wrote:
Considering that said games were being developed for the normal 3DS before the New one was even a thing, I highly doubt they'll play any sorts of "better" on the New one.
What makes you think those games were being developed for the normal 3DS before the new one was even a thing?

Just because the New 3DS has only been announced recently doesn't mean that it hasn't been in production for years.
Product development takes a very, very long time.

Longer than games in most cases.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Sep 04, 2014 5:48 pm

Slivendiferious wrote:
DreamSword wrote:
What makes you think those games were being developed for the normal 3DS before the new one was even a thing?

Just because the New 3DS has only been announced recently doesn't mean that it hasn't been in production for years.

On the flip-side, what makes you think that they weren't?

Thing is, we can't say for sure. I just imagine it'd be easier to develop a game with adding things for other buttons, rather than developing a game while thinking of how to take buttons away.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMSun Sep 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Back to top Go down
Txn
You > Evil
Txn

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMSun Sep 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Slivendiferious wrote:

Dude, you're kinda overreacting here.

In those examples, the extra control stick is used for minor things like controlling the cameras/perform smash, doesn't mean they are completely unplayable in older 3ds models. You say that the norm would be "made for the new 3ds" as basis, but it's probably "made for the 3ds, with additional functions for the new 3ds".

As I mentioned on Skype the other day, if anything, I see some exclusives but most of the games will also be available for the normal 3ds.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMSun Sep 07, 2014 10:33 pm

I kinda doubt that honestly, but it ultimately depends how well the New 3DS sells.
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaMMon Sep 08, 2014 6:51 am

I never said they would be completely unplayable on the old 3DS?
But controlling the camera, in my opinion, is not a minor thing, especially not in the Monster Hunter games.

I think that for now, most 3DS games will be developed for both systems simultaneously, changing the control schemes between versions and probably taking the better specs into account of the new 3DS, but perhaps only the former. But yes, if I were working on a game for the 3DS, I would first think of a control scheme which integrates those three extra buttons, and only then look back at the old 3DS and try to make it work.

I’m just trying to look at it from the developer’s point of view. They spent a good deal of time and money on developing an almost entirely new product. It’s not new-new, but looking at its physical design, they can’t reuse a whole lot from the original production setup for the old 3DS. They shifted parts of the layout, added extra cavities for the buttons, added those buttons, need to include electronic parts with higher specs, which may or may not have the same size, etc. They might have reused some parts, but there are a lot of parts they simply couldn’t reuse. They would need a whole new production and assembly line.

They didn’t just think one afternoon, „what if we release a new 3DS with higher specs and its cartridge slot at the front?”. They spent a lot of time and money on developing this product, on user research, usage tests, etc.

As a company, you don’t design a better version of a product with no intention to sell it. You need to get your money back at least, preferably make a profit.

How do you do that?

By selling the product. By making people want it more than the old 3DS. By developing games that use the extra buttons and specifications. By creating games which are exclusive to the „new” 3DS.
So yes, that’s why I think we will end up with a lot more games that will be exclusive to the new 3DS.

That’s what I’m guessing Nintendo is doing, anyway.

But yes, it ultimately depends on how well the New 3DS sells.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New 3DS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3DS   New 3DS - Page 2 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

New 3DS
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tales of Reservia :: General Subforums :: Video Games-
Jump to: