Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Today in Gaming

Go down 
+30
AzureEdge
Bo Staff Katana
Crystal Power
Meow Wow
Dracos
TalesofHysteria
Drake
Harbinger
Seraph
Zacewing
Divinus Fulmen
Chosen of Mana
Silver Forte
Ryu
TimeFactor
Psypher
King Cat the Sixth
Arn
BlazingFiddlesticks
Slivendiferious
DylDawg
Rainstorm
Tenshigami
Suikoden
Txn
Falcom
Abicion
warriorangel01
Taiyz
Prinny
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 41  Next
AuthorMessage
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

Today in Gaming - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMMon Jul 20, 2015 9:23 am

Welp it's this...

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/20/odin-sphere-leifdrasir-gets-a-first-trailer/

Would have preferred a new game, and as long as we're doing an HD remaster it would have made more sense to start at the beginning with Princess Crown so the west could finally get a taste of the whole series, but I'll take it. Odin Sphere was an amazing game that was somewhat crippled by horrible slowdown because its beautiful visuals were just too much for the poor PS2.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMMon Jul 20, 2015 2:19 pm

That's cool, I never bothered playing the original. I should grab that and Muramasa Rebirth.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMMon Jul 20, 2015 2:52 pm

Taiyz wrote:
That's cool, I never bothered playing the original. I should grab that and Muramasa Rebirth.

Do it. Seriously. Odin Sphere is the game that introduced me to Vanillaware and showed me that sprite-based games could be not only amazingly detailed, but extremely fluid in motion.

It seems obvious nowadays but sprites that look like a goddamn painting was a foreign concept to me at the time.

I remember reading when it first came out that everything on screen, including the player character, has like a 'marionette' or doll or some such. Basically a 2D skeleton underneath with joints that different body part sprites pivot on. It's no wonder the more densly populated screens were a lag fest.

EDIT: Oooooooh snap their announcements weren't done!

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/20/atlus-and-vanillaware-tease-another-new-project-together/
Back to top Go down
Bo Staff Katana
Fatal Old Man
Bo Staff Katana

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMMon Jul 20, 2015 3:50 pm

I saw the trailer for Odin Sphere. It looks very interesting. I have Muramasa on the Wii. I really need to finish that game some day. It looks like Odin Sphere has a very similar feel. I will definitely have to check it out.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMMon Jul 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Tenshigami wrote:
I remember reading when it first came out that everything on screen, including the player character, has like a 'marionette' or doll or some such. Basically a 2D skeleton underneath with joints that different body part sprites pivot on. It's no wonder the more densly populated screens were a lag fest.
It's basically what Treasure did with Earnest Evans back on the Genesis, except much better designed.

Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMTue Jul 21, 2015 10:30 pm

http://www.lazygamer.net/playstation/ps3/prototype-on-xbox-one-is-worse-than-xbox-360/ I'm beginning to think that somebody needs to create a website that tabulates PS3/360 --> XBO/PS4 ports and remakes and summarizes the differences/upgrades between them, what company actually handled the port, and whether there are any problems or missing content vs. the original.

There are some that are handled by their respective developers such as Metro and The Last of Us Remastered (the Uncharted collection is not being done by Naughty Dog as far as I know,) but I'd say two thirds of them are being outsourced. Some are done well, like DMC4 by Access Games and Swery65, but there are plenty that either don't provide any upgrades over the original or f*** up the game in the process (like Ultra Street Fighter IV and The Master Chief Collection, and with Prototype it seems that they screwed up on both points.)

In the previous gen, ports were almost universally a good thing, I'd actually be interested if any of you know if there was a port/remake from another console to the 360 and/or PS3 that was in any way inferior to its predecessor...And no I'm not talking about multi-plat at-the-time-current-gen games like Bayonetta PS3.

This generation however not only are they out of hand, but the quality standards are abhorrent.
Back to top Go down
Prinny

Prinny

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMThu Jul 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Black Ops 3 Beta Dates. Everybody gets 5 days to play it, PS4 users just have their play time earlier. We will not get to play it for 10 days. Sad

http://charlieintel.com/2015/07/22/black-ops-3-beta-starts-aug-19th-on-ps4-aug-26th-on-xbox-one-and-pc/
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMThu Jul 23, 2015 9:17 pm

That's hilarious. Console exclusivity is so stupid.

Speaking of console exclusivity,
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-16817-Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Coming-to-PS4-in--Holiday-2016-.html

I can wait that long.
Back to top Go down
Prinny

Prinny

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMFri Jul 24, 2015 7:31 pm

The God of War 3 remaster is pretty good. The game looked great on the PS3, all it really needed was a better framerate and resolution.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-god-of-war-3-remastered-face-off
Back to top Go down
TalesofHysteria

TalesofHysteria

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMSun Jul 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Taiyz wrote:
That's hilarious. Console exclusivity is so stupid.

Speaking of console exclusivity,
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-16817-Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Coming-to-PS4-in--Holiday-2016-.html

I can wait that long.

I'll buy it when it's dropped in price in 2017 or 2018, because my interest in it is going to drop after this year, you know when it will be finished and released. Man this staggered and disparate release will really hurt the franchise. Today in Gaming - Page 30 41355646

Console exclusivity is not stupid though. It works, so it keeps happening. What stinks is that this is happening to modern Tomb Raider of all things.

Also, odd site to complain about console exclusivity Razz

Tales of is console exclusive for a different reason, that being a niche market, especially outside of Japan. Having tried Nintendo and Microsoft money, Bandai Namco has come back to Sony instead. Zestiria would be very possible on Xbox One with not too much work but clearly it has been decided that it's not worth porting or printing the copies. In this case, it'd be stupid if it wasn't console exclusive.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMSun Jul 26, 2015 10:47 pm

It's obviously not an odd site to bring this up on because you just proved my point. Console exclusivity does nothing but harm brand IMO and with minor differences like PS4 players getting the Black Ops III beta 5 days early but it's the same goddamn length, it's absolutely absurd.

Now, because of Tomb Raider's weird staggered release, that's obviously gonna work out well for Microsoft, but it will hurt overall sales of Tomb Raider especially considering that Square-Enix for whatever reason was not happy with how the original sold, which is mind-blowing considering how well it did for such a dried up and irrelevant franchise these days: it didn't sell as well as it could've because people were SKEPTICAL. The sequel was the time to make big bucks after the first game's high critical reception, but now they're fucking that up. It seems to me like they're purposely trying to kill Tomb Raider.
Back to top Go down
TalesofHysteria

TalesofHysteria

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMSun Jul 26, 2015 11:25 pm

Microsoft obviously paid. AAA games are expensive.

Tales and Tomb Raider are really not comparable I know. I just wanted to bring Tales up because of you saying exclusivity is stupid. It's not. Tales is clearly made on a much smaller budget with much more conservative sales expectations. Also a good reason for exclusivity of another kind, it stays were the audience is.

Back to Tomb Raider,

360 could very well have been the best-performing platform for Tomb Raider since it was the most popular platform in North America and also big in the UK and Australia.  

Tomb Raider is huge and eventually had very good sales, though obviously a lot of those were heavily discounted. It's over 8.5 million now at last count, including the Definitive Edition.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tomb-raider-reboot-sells-8-5-million-copies-breaks/1100-6426433/

However, it was only by the end of 2013 that the February 2013 title had broke even

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-17-tomb-raider-finally-achieved-profitability-by-the-end-of-last-year

Again, very expensive. You can see how Microsoft's deep pockets would have looked very enticing.

It's going to hurt the series and we probably won't see it again, but the deal was obviously worked out with Tomb Raider PS3/360 and potential lost sales by switching to one of them only. It stinks, but it's business. If it weren't for Rare Replay or Rise of the Tomb Raider I wouldn't even want an Xbox One, not that I'll get one.

Of course when the Xbox One is performing far worse than its predecessor that will have an effect too. As will launching with Fallout 4, COD, and Battlefront in November. scratch Maybe it will be heavily bundled.
Back to top Go down
Prinny

Prinny

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMMon Jul 27, 2015 6:15 pm

There was a big argument about this on NeoGAF, nobody really knows exactly what MS contributed to the game's development. They definitely didn't fund the game a significant amount because it is only a timed exclusive. Capcom said they couldn't make SF5 without Sony's help, and that game is only on PS4 and PC. It is not a timed exclusive. Somehow that is okay but Tomb Raider being a timed exclusive is not? Sony is very big and successful company, too.

Also, Xbox One sales are doing better then the 360 was in this same time period. It just doesn't look that great compared to the PS4.
Back to top Go down
TalesofHysteria

TalesofHysteria

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMTue Jul 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Prinny wrote:
There was a big argument about this on NeoGAF, nobody really knows exactly what MS contributed to the game's development. They definitely didn't fund the game a significant amount because it is only a timed exclusive. Capcom said they couldn't make SF5 without Sony's help, and that game is only on PS4 and PC. It is not a timed exclusive. Somehow that is okay but Tomb Raider being a timed exclusive is not? Sony is very big and successful company, too.

Also, Xbox One sales are doing better then the 360 was in this same time period. It just doesn't look that great compared to the PS4.

Today in Gaming - Page 30 41355646 We don't know that, and it takes a significant amount of money to make a big name like Tomb Raider timed exclusive anyways, like off your main competitor's console for a calendar year.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMTue Jul 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment is out and it's only 19.99. Lost Song is supposedly getting a physical release but if you pre-order digitally (69.99 CAD) you get RHF for free.

Apparently the translation is improved by still imperfect (field pop-ups are not great, Kayaba is spelled Kabaya at one point...) There are some level design and mechanic changes (sword skills have cooldowns instead of requiring SP now, to be more similar to how SAO actual works, apparently) but none of the DLC has been ported over yet and apparently the save transfer function is not perfect, you keep your levels and most items and skills, but anything from the DLC, "implements" whatever those are, those aren't kept, and apparently unlocked outfits, while equipped ones are still worn by your harem, once you remove them you have to re-unlock them.

Oh yeah, and DQXI was announced, can't wait to watch the video later:
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-16844-Dragon-Quest-XI-Announced-for-PS4-in-Japan-[Updated-With-Gameplay-Vid].html
Back to top Go down
TalesofHysteria

TalesofHysteria

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMWed Jul 29, 2015 7:28 pm

I feel safe in believing the PS4 version of DQXI will come overseas. Quite happy with that too.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMWed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Inafune has partnered with FUZE Entertainment for Red Ash. The entire Kickstarter will now go toward stretch goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1308824

Don't know how to feel about this. Surely the entire game would have been backed by a company now assuming the Kickstarter hadn't existed in the first place because you're motherfucking Inafune and you clearly don't need it.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMThu Jul 30, 2015 12:50 pm

Double post but...

Holy balls

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/30/arslan-the-warriors-of-legend-will-release-in-the-west-in-early-2016/

Anime-based games NEVER make it over here these days unless it's a super popular franchise like SAO, Attack on Titan, Dragon Ball, or Naruto. (Yes I just lumped SAO and AoT with the likes of DBZ and Naruto. Deal with it.)

Arslan, as much as I love the show, hasn't really had people raving about it. So I'd call this a first.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMThu Jul 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Yeah I feel like the Kickstarter route for Red Ash was a horrible decision that really makes me question Inafune. considering his first real Kickstarted game isn't even out until what, October? Why should I back another thing you made when your current game looks bland and very little like your prototype? And you're intending to use UE3 again, baaad idea.

As for Arslan, I'm actually not surprised. Tecmo Koei licenses literally almost everything these days, sure Fatal Frame took a while to get announced, but we've got stuff like Deception IV and ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS coming out here. Seriously, who honestly wants a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game? Tecmo Koei thinks there's an audience I guess. Edit: My bad, I just realized it was Nobunaga's Ambition. They are both Koei strategy games though.

Also, right now is a great time to be an anime fan and a gamer, with Sega bringing over Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, XSEED bringing over NitroPlus Blasterz, Namco Bandai bringing over all sorts of Jump games, Project X Zone, the first Jump crossover game for America, even goddamn Saint Seiya and JoJo...Going so far as to relocalize SAO Hollow Fragment...

Things are changing for the better dawg. Also isn't this adaptation of Arslan done by the FMA lady? FUNimation licensed the show based on that fact alone I imagine. Now what would REALLY surprise me is if they bothered to have FUNimation dub the game. XSEED hasn't really teamed up with FUNimation for anything Senran Kagura-related (and yet Onechanbara got a fantastic dub so I keep wondering why because the Senran Kagura anime dub was top notch,) and Namco Bandai and Sega aren't dubbing any of their anime games, so that seems more unlikely to me.

Last edited by Taiyz on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Prinny

Prinny

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMFri Jul 31, 2015 1:42 am

Unreal Engine 3 is a great engine. Epic has done a great job supporting the Japanese version, making it very easy for Japanese developers to make full use of it. Its not the engine's fault when the game created with it looks awful.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMFri Jul 31, 2015 2:49 am

But that's the thing, NOBODY seems to know how to use it. Gears of War, Bioshock and Guilty Gear Xrd are the best examples and one of those is literally made by the people who made the engine. I think you have to have a shitton of art direction to compensate for a lot of its shortcomings, and that's a huge problem for Mighty No. 9.

If an engine is routinely used to create clumsily-programmed games, then damn right am I gonna talk shit. Unity is another example of a promising platform that just churns out horseshit.

BTW I took a peak at the Kickstarters now that I'm home, I'm glad the community seems to share my opinion, the game's Kickstarter is lacking 315k and the OVA is lacking about 35K. I might actually pledge for the OVA still, but I seriously don't see any reason to fund another game from Inafune until we get to play Mighty No. 9 and hopefully enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMFri Jul 31, 2015 8:48 am

Wow the Red Ash Kickstarter now actually resembles a normal fucking kickstarter, except that everything funded by FUZE would have been the initial goal in a normal kickstarter. FUZE funded the WHOLE GAME, well past the "Half a game" initial goal so the game will have all of its episodes regardless of kickstarter success, and the initial goal will fund a challenge dungeon, Tyger as a playable character, and a village reconstruction quest.

Except there's ONLY THREE DAYS LEFT and it looks like around 100k backed out already (could have sworn it was over 500k before). Holy shit Inafune you've fucked this beyond help.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMSat Aug 01, 2015 6:53 am

I was musing over Red Ash tonight. I have a feeling that Capcom's gotta feel pretty smug about this right now. It's clear that Inafune fucked this up beyond repair, trying to do another Kickstarter before even releasing Mighty No. 9, Mighty No. 9 barely reflecting its initial concept, Red Ash having very little presentable work right now...But considering that Capcom's initial reason for canceling Legends 3 was "not enough interest/participation," I'm sure they'll take this as proof, because I highly doubt the Kickstarter will succeed now.

I'm sure if Inafune had waited maybe a year after MN9 had come out before announcing this (and assuming that MN9 is better than how it looks,) he would have repeated his earlier success in a snap. It makes you wonder, though, how Red Ash would have turned out if it was announced first, Legends alumni included. Obviously a lot of the gimmick is that Red Ash features Beck and Call, so it would have lost that charm and would've still been a hard sell IMO.

I'm seriously curious if the anime Kickstarter is even gonna go through with the really sketchy "stage" concept. I mean, it's Studio 4C and they're kinda known for sketchy-quality shorts so I suppose it's par for the course.
Back to top Go down
Abicion
(。◕ ‿ ◕。✿)
Abicion

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMSat Aug 01, 2015 11:48 am

so did you guys hear about that Castlevania Pachinko thing?
Back to top Go down
http://abicion.tumblr.com/
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaMSat Aug 01, 2015 2:09 pm

What, that pachi-slot game that came out like 3 years ago?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Today in Gaming   Today in Gaming - Page 30 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Today in Gaming
Page 30 of 41Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 41  Next