Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How did you get into Tales?

Go down 
+20
Dcrigg
Paladin Cecil
Hasta_Extermi
TimeFactor
Txn
Taiyz
Puddle
swordandshield
Suikoden
cutepresea
Slivendiferious
Tenshigami
Drake
DylDawg
Venom
Bo Staff Katana
DreamSword
Samaël
TalesofHysteria
Meow Wow
24 posters
AuthorMessage
Meow Wow

Meow Wow

How did you get into Tales? Empty
PostSubject: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 12:23 am

Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, how did you get into the games? Was it a friend that introduced you? saw it in a store and picked it up? Got rave reviews and you just had to see what the fuss was about? Share here!

For me I saw an internet reviewer give Symphonia a great review (5/5 if I recall) and I saw Abyss at a Gamestop once. I thought that this was one of those game so I picked it up. And here I am. What's your story?

(I'm sorry If a thread like this exists but I looked and I couldn't find one)
Back to top Go down
TalesofHysteria

TalesofHysteria

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 12:32 am

Borrowed Tales of the Abyss for 3DS from my sister.

I'll always regret not giving Symphonia a go when I was younger. I still remember its Nintendo Power cover. 

How did you get into Tales? $T2eC16V,!zEE9s3!Y,HLBQsqw7Ty%29!~~60_35
Back to top Go down
Samaël
Kamen Rider
Samaël

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 12:47 am

My little sister's friend brought her gamecube and Symphonia over one day and it went on from there.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 1:36 am

Played through Tales of Destiny PS1 with my cousin. Been into the series ever since.
Back to top Go down
Bo Staff Katana
Fatal Old Man
Bo Staff Katana

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 3:58 pm

I saw Tales of Symphonia in a Gamestop the year it came out. I recall seeing some type or preview or something on the game and since I had the money to buy it, I did. I have been hooked ever since. To this day, Symphonia is still my favorite game.
Back to top Go down
Venom
My Mule is Sexy
Venom

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 4:42 pm

I started with Symphonia, which I had heard about on the internet IIRC. Then a little later, I saw it at EB Games, which I convinced my younger brother to buy (I think I had already spent what little money I had lawl). Granted, back then I got crap from basically an allowance, which was really for toys and games. But anyway, once I played Symphonia, I began craving more Tales games... then other Tales related goods. I like Tales.
Back to top Go down
http://venom800tt.deviantart.com/
DylDawg
Amazing Dawg Idol
DylDawg

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Saw Legendia, laughed at the box art, got curious, bought it, loved it. Bought Abyss. Played everything I can get afterwards, and now in a middle ground between playing them or leaving them.
Back to top Go down
Drake
Admin
Drake

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Rented Symphonia from Blockbuster one day. Had no idea what the game was.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Vulcapyro
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 8:36 pm

The fan translated SNES version of Tales of Phantasia, and buying Tales of Destiny along with a bunch of other PS1 games from my brother who no longer wanted them when I was in high school. They were nothing more than "Good RPGs" to me back then, but my hype for the series built up over the years. Tales of Eternia fixed a lot of the issues with the clunky, early 2D battle system and to this day is honestly one of my favorites, partly due to Nostalgia.

Tales of Symphonia was the first Tales game I anticipated enough to preorder (I still have the cardboard poster 'lithograph' thing for preordering it at GameStop), and by the time Tales of the Abyss was out, I was finally into the series enough that I could not deny that I was a fan.
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMThu Dec 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Bo Staff Katana wrote:
I saw Tales of Symphonia in a Gamestop the year it came out. I recall seeing some type or preview or something on the game and since I had the money to buy it, I did. I have been hooked ever since. To this day, Symphonia is still my favorite game.

It wasn't a Gamestop, but a MediaMarket in my case.
Other than that, it was the exact same thing.

They were playing the opening sequence over and over again and I just fell in love with that. Although at first my imagination went wild and came up with a completely different game than it actually was.

Funny thing is, at the time I thought Zelos was be a motherly kind of woman in her 30's-40's.

And that the game was Turn Based.
Back to top Go down
cutepresea

cutepresea

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMFri Dec 12, 2014 2:55 am

TalesofHysteria wrote:
I'll always regret not giving Symphonia a go when I was younger. I still remember its Nintendo Power cover. 

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTA4WDM4Mw==/$T2eC16V,!zEE9s3!Y,HLBQsqw7Ty%29!~~60_35.JPG
I still have that one lying around. :3
Reading about ToS in Nintendo Power is pretty much how I learned about the game and ended up buying it.
...Funny how that ended up. Ha. Hahaha. Hahaha...*cries because money*
Back to top Go down
Suikoden
Tired
Suikoden

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMFri Dec 12, 2014 3:11 am

Back when I was like 10 or 11 my best friend at the time had been playing the heck out of Dejap's fan trans of ToP SNES along with stuff like Terranigma and Seiken Densetsu 3. Like him, I was enthralled at how good the graphics looked and how fun battles were so I started my own file never looking back. Around 2002-2003 I got ToD used and fell more in love with series. 

Coincidentally, he was also the one who introduced me to the greatness that is Suikoden too. He really changed my life... xD
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Puddle

Puddle

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMSun Dec 14, 2014 4:47 am

My older sister had friends over, and one in particular I always admired was an anime fan and talked about Tales of Symphonia... so I set out the next day and purchased it. Fell in love immediately with the series and have owned everyone to come to North America since. Smile
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMSun Dec 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Growing up the only genre of game I actively sought out were RPGs (didn't even know WRPGs were a thing because I didn't play PC games) and I ended up playing Tales of Phantasia because of that. I remember stumbling across the old Namco Tales of Destiny website at some point and being very confused, this was after the PS1 generation was over and I wasn't really able to get things off of eBay or whatever.

Years later I got the above-mentioned Nintendo power issue and just kind of stood there in awe, thinking NO WAY. Eventually I just so happened to be looking it up on IGN (when IGN was just starting its community features and wasn't derided by the entire internet) and lo and behold there was an advert for the Tales forum on its first day of activity. I think I was like the 7th member to join it.

Symphonia is still the only Tales game I've bothered finishing mind you. >_>

The only Tales game I've imported is the Tales of Destiny remake, I didn't bother with Abyss 3DS or Symphonia 2 for Wii and I'll need to get Graces f some day. Otherwise I've got all the games I'm capable of playing (that Tales of the World game isn't available digitally on for Vita right?)
Back to top Go down
Txn
You > Evil
Txn

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMSun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 pm

Tales of Symphonia, and just because of this magazine.

How did you get into Tales? 9602945787_7a0904a16a_c
Back to top Go down
TimeFactor

TimeFactor

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMTue Dec 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Went to a friend of my mom's house. Met her son. Symphonia was one of the games we played. I played as Genis. Had to convince my dad to buy the game for me since I was under 13.
Back to top Go down
Hasta_Extermi

Hasta_Extermi

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMTue Dec 16, 2014 11:30 pm

I was about 7-8 years old and my older brother had a friend who gave him a CD with SNES9x and a few translated ROMs and one of them was Tales of Phantasia translated by DeJap Translations. My brother never touched them but I found the disc and started playing Phantasia and loved it.

Didn't know it was part of a series until I received the Symphonia issue of Nintendo Power and I've been a fan ever since.
Back to top Go down
Paladin Cecil

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMSat Dec 27, 2014 4:47 am

Ten years ago, I noticed that a friend of mine owned a copy of Tales of Eternia, which I chose to borrow. I ended up falling in love with the game and getting hooked on the story, the gameplay and the great characters.
I really liked the chemistry that Reid, Farah, Keele and Meredy had I often wrestled with who my favorite of them was. Sometimes I felt like it was Reid, while at other times I felt that it was Farah or Keele (who I eventually cosplayed).

I loved how the game was able to blend in great storytelling with some memorable humor and fan-service (i.e. the scene involving winter clothing).
Eternia is a great first game for anyone who's interested in the Tales series and anyone who considers themselves a fan should find a copy of this game if they haven't played it.
Afterwards, I got hooked on Symphonia and eventually played and beat Legendia and Abyss, which I both enjoyed.
I also didn't think Dawn of the New World was as bad as a lot of people said (although no masterpiece).
Back to top Go down
Dcrigg

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMSun May 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Xillia because the setting,characters and story was interesting it got me in the head I was so impatient to wait for it
Back to top Go down
Marissa

Marissa

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMWed May 06, 2015 7:20 pm

I had bought myself a GBA in order to play Pokemon.  Eventually I got through all the Pokemon games and needed something else to play.  My mom took me to the store to find other games since Christmas was coming up and she wanted to be sure to get something I'd like.  I knew I wanted a Final Fantasy one for sure (I got FF5) but I happened to see Tales of Phantasia in the clearance section in K-Mart.  I thought the cover art looked awesome (I'm an anime fan) so I got that too.  I actually thought Cress was a prince and Mint was a princess.  I somehow missed Arche having a broom, so I thought she fought with the pole staff thing I thought the broom was.  I also remember reading about cooking on the back of the box and being worried they'd die if I didn't feed them. XD I blame my defective digi pet for that one.

I loved that game way more than the FF one I got, and was super sad when it was over.  I went on the internet to look up everything I could about it afterwards and discovered it had a sequel/prequel of sorts (Symphonia).  Unfortunately the only system I owned was my GBA so I couldn't get it, but I read everything about Symphonia I could, which led me to discovering there were other games in the Tales series.  When we got a PS2 for Christmas a year or two later, the first games I got for it were Legendia and then Abyss. And I was hooked. I eventually got a Gamecube and Symphonia, as well as a PS3 and Graces, Symphonia Chronicles, Xillia, and Xillia 2.  I'm hoping to get Zestiria when it comes out.
Back to top Go down
AzureEdge
✧Chromatus✧
AzureEdge

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMSun May 17, 2015 9:23 pm

I got myself into tales back in 2008, when I randomly picked a game form Gamestop, and I started playing it my older Brother. After that, we played all of the stuff we could find in Gamestop with the name Tales of on it. After that, 3 years ago, after playing Vesperia, I found out that they were all related. I then found the older games in the US, and finished all of them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.wattpad.com/user/AzureEdge7
Emil12345

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMFri Jul 24, 2015 3:44 pm

I heard one of my favorite voice actresses, Tara Sands, was in the game as Genis so naturally I played Dawn of the New World. That's my story.
Back to top Go down
Harbinger
Nephalem
Harbinger

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaMFri Jul 24, 2015 6:10 pm

Tales of Vesperia! It was my brother that bought it and I'm the one who played it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you get into Tales?   How did you get into Tales? 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

How did you get into Tales?
Page 1 of 1