Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Unpopular Tales opinions.

Go down 
+7
Slivendiferious
Moontoon
Yume Hanabi
DreamSword
Bo Staff Katana
King Cat the Sixth
Cless Aileron
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Cless Aileron

Cless Aileron

Unpopular Tales opinions. Empty
PostSubject: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMThu Apr 02, 2015 10:17 am

Maybe I just needed a topic where I let out the kind of opinions that will bound to get people to grab their pitchforks & come after them. Yes, I'm just exaggerating here but I had to set the mood somehow. So, go ahead, tell me your unpopular Tales opinions. While I'm aware it's going to be hard to really determine if it's really considered an unpopular opinion. I'm just going by "I don't hear it a lot" & "it sounds like something people are going to call me a heretic for thinking like that".

For me, I'm going to mention 4 of them (and I'm starting with a big one):

*I do not think Tales of Legendia's soundtrack is as great as people make it out to be. I find it to be no better than anything Motoi Sakuraba phones in for the Tales series. (I had to say it like that just to make it clear I'm no Sakuraba apologist. Just because I do find his newer stuff lacking doesn't mean I'm raving about Legendia's soundtrack.)

*I do not think Tales of Legendia's Character Quests were all that great and the character development in said Character Quests were not done well.

*I honestly do not think Flynn has enough appeal where he really needed to be a full time playable character.

*I do not like Sophie's Future Arc outfit.
Back to top Go down
King Cat the Sixth

King Cat the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMThu Apr 02, 2015 11:23 am

I don't think Team Destiny's gameplay design/TD-influenced game mechanic is great by default. I think they're plagued with spam and auto-combo.

I don't think Milla is that good of a character. I like Jude's character more, especially the english portrayal. But that might be my misogynistic side talking because I like my adventures about manly men that destroy everything in their path and rescue the damsels in distress. I'm traditionally orthodox like that.

I dislike Hearts, both version. Hearts R had potential to be great, but the bosses are tediously boring. Oh and f*** the secret superboss too, being big just for the sake of being big. I guess I might just be spoiled by Xillia 2's weakness system being so fun that Hearts R felt so bare boned.

I think Sakuraba should stop doing boring epic orchestral. His synth was really good back in Phantasia, Destiny 2 and Symphonia.

I think Fighting of the Spirit is the best Tales battle theme ever. Every battle theme should be Fighting of the Spirit.
Back to top Go down
Bo Staff Katana
Fatal Old Man
Bo Staff Katana

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMThu Apr 02, 2015 1:10 pm

{sneaks in}

I like Anise and I am glad the characters didn't go crazy on her like they did with Luke. We really didn't need to have that happen twice.

{sneaks out before everyone kills me}
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMThu Apr 02, 2015 5:55 pm

99% of the remakes are garbage, Long-Haired Luke is the best character in Abyss, Tales of the Tempest isn't nearly as bad as everyone says, and Namco-Bandai is a fair and fun company.
Back to top Go down
Yume Hanabi
Yume Hanabi

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMFri Apr 03, 2015 5:55 am

Tales of Zestiria's battle system is fun.
toz spoilers:
It's a good thing that the Alisha DLC was not in the game.
Back to top Go down
http://yume-x-hanabi.tumblr.com
Moontoon
Admin
Moontoon

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMFri Apr 03, 2015 6:10 am

I like Jude and Anise. Not very impressed by Yuri, though =')
Back to top Go down
http://moontoon.deviantart.com
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMFri Apr 03, 2015 1:32 pm

I think Zelos is a very deep and layered character.

I think "Grasp it with all your might" is the best Tales of battle theme, followed closely by "Fighting the Spirit".

I think Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World has the best LMBS in the series.

I actually find the voice acting in the Tales games to be pretty convincing.

I think Yuri is overrated, but still a memorable and enjoyable character.

I think the puzzles in most Tales games are really tedious (not sure if unpopular opinion...?)
Back to top Go down
Suikoden
Tired
Suikoden

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMSun Apr 05, 2015 4:01 pm

I find Tempest to have one edge above other Tales games and that's its lycanthropy. Ain't enough of that kind of thing.
Back to top Go down
Rainstorm
All-New!
Rainstorm

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMSun Apr 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Not sure if it makes it unpopular if I'm agreeing, but I really agree on the whole not feelin' Yuri thing

I don't think Legendia's battle system is the worst in the series

I really didn't find Tales of Eternia to as enjoyable as I was made to expect from it

I want another Phantasia remake. (A really good one made like a new main series game with latest-game graphics)

I think Lloyd is a good character but not as well-written as he's made out to be.

I'm really happy they included Patty in Vesperia PS3 (I do wish she got an MA other than her roulette thing, something she actually does would be nice)

I think Destiny 2 has a really good story and I think the ending is well done.

I think Innocence R is 90% superior to its original (I just miss the lines taken out of Ange's entrance scene and Ricardo's dream speech). I enjoy the additions QQ and Kongwai have to offer.

I think Ruca and Emil are vastly different and that Ruca is written much better.

I appreciate Repede as a party member rather than a mascot and I want them to do another traditionally animal companion expanding on what they did well with him. I think he's a well-written smart canine.

I really can't stand the majority of the party in Abyss most of the time, but Natalia is one of my favourite characters in the series.

I like the CheriaXAsbel in F Arc, I do not like the HubertXPascal even though I support the pairing. I feel like Graces doesn't feel like a satisfying game without F arc.

In hindsight, I only really like the character quests in Xillia 2, while I do enjoy a lot of the stuff that occurred and stuff that was played with, the characters are what make the game anything at all. It had so much potential but it wasn't good in the ways it appeared it tried to be good.

I think Asbel is more interesting than Yuri, Stahn, and Lloyd. He's one of the few main characters I actually really like but a lot of people call him boring.

I enjoy when we get a lot of DLC costumes and I actually want more in future releases. However I do concur with the idea that there should at least be some in-game with the event acquisitions we've come to love in Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia.
Back to top Go down
Cless Aileron

Cless Aileron

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMThu Apr 16, 2015 6:58 am

I was limiting myself in regards to Vesperia-related ones since I still have not sort out my issues with it. That being said, I will add some more to my list.

*I do not find Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World to be a horrible game.

*On that note, I do find Tales of Symphonia to be a good game, but I don't see it as the high pinnacle of the series. (This one's debatable)

*I could care less about the PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia...or any of its extra content.

*I felt Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike was a disappointment.

*(Early Abyss related spoiler)
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMThu Apr 16, 2015 3:08 pm

Still expanding my Tales background, so I don't have much to contribute, other than commentary.

King Cat the Sixth wrote:
I think Sakuraba should stop doing boring epic orchestral. His synth was really good back in Phantasia, Destiny 2 and Symphonia.

I think Fighting of the Spirit is the best Tales battle theme ever. Every battle theme should be Fighting of the Spirit.

Sakuraba really has made it clear in recent Tales games that limitations breed creativity, but I do not want to let Namco off the hook; I think its safe to say most of us know via one game or another how much better Sakuraba can be when given the time and the space.

Fighting of the Spirit is still the series theme song, as far as I'm concerned.  It doesn't sound its age at all.

Slivendiferious wrote:
I think Zelos is a very deep and layered character.

I feel like I missed the boat on that, if for no other reason than because the game expects us to be captivated by Zelos in a way I never was.

DreamSword wrote:
Long-Haired Luke is the best character in Abyss

I'm finding him hilarious so far.
Back to top Go down
Psypher

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMThu Apr 16, 2015 3:56 pm

Symphonia has one of, if not the best VA cast out of all the English dubs.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMThu Apr 16, 2015 5:40 pm

Psypher wrote:
Since when was this unpopular? When Tales fans talk of best dubs I usually see either ToS or ToV brought up.
Back to top Go down
Cless Aileron

Cless Aileron

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMSat Apr 18, 2015 10:17 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:

Sakuraba really has made it clear in recent Tales games that limitations breed creativity, but I do not want to let Namco off the hook; I think its safe to say most of us know via one game or another how much better Sakuraba can be when given the time and the space.

A lot of times, especially with his recent Tales stuff, Motoi Sakuraba is pretty much seen as a hack. Though every time I hear his Tales stuff sucks and his non-Tales stuff are superior, I just want to say, "I have played Star Ocean 2. I didn't care much for that game's soundtrack." I have played Dark Souls & I don't really care much for that one's soundtrack either. I can only really give the Valkyrie Profile series as being superior to his Tales stuff but only that one.

I think that's why I started with my unpopular opinion where I don't find Tales of Legendia's soundtrack as amazing as people make it out to be. Now, I actually don't hate Go Shiina (I actually do think he has talent) but I still don't think Tales of Legendia's soundtrack is amazing. I think the hype over the soundtrack is causing some backlash with me too. The way I see people hype his stuff up (especially ToL), I feel like someone's bound to proclaim, "Go Shiina's composition could consist of him farting into a can and it'll still be better than anything Sakuraba does!" In fact, I still expect people to crap on me for this one opinion alone.

Of course, I'm still not letting Sakuraba off the hook. But you know what? After all this ranting about these Tales composers, I think I got another unpopular one.

*I actually like Tales of Vesperia's soundtrack. Considering we just talked about how much Sakuraba is phoning in his recent Tales stuff, I think this opinion of mine passes with me for being unpopular considering Tales of Vesperia is still a recent enough Tales & falls under one of Sakuraba's so called crappy, phoned in stuff.
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMSat Apr 18, 2015 10:54 pm

Cless Aileron wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:

A lot of times, especially with his recent Tales stuff, Motoi Sakuraba is pretty much seen as a hack. Though every time I hear his Tales stuff sucks and his non-Tales stuff are superior, I just want to say, "I have played Star Ocean 2. I didn't care much for that game's soundtrack." I have played Dark Souls & I don't really care much for that one's soundtrack either. I can only really give the Valkyrie Profile series as being superior to his Tales stuff but only that one.

I always think of the Baten Kaitos games. Orchestral, simple instrumental, and prog rock nonsense all over, sometimes back-to-back. Golden Sun was another, but frankly those are probably in the same league as Tales, give or take.
Back to top Go down
Psypher

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMSun Apr 19, 2015 11:49 am

DreamSword wrote:
Psypher wrote:
Since when was this unpopular? When Tales fans talk of best dubs I usually see either ToS or ToV brought up.

I saw a lot of people on gamefaqs say the dub was terrible after Chronicles came out.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaMSun Apr 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Ah, in that context they're usually talking specifically about the lines that were adding in 10 years later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unpopular Tales opinions.   Unpopular Tales opinions. 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Tales opinions.
Page 1 of 1