Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AOL IM Alternatives

Go down 
+3
Venom
Suikoden
Samaël
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Prinny

Prinny

AOL IM Alternatives  Empty
PostSubject: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMTue Feb 02, 2016 6:02 pm

So AOL Instant Messenger barely works now, so I need some suggestions. I tried sending a message to Taiyz last night and it told me the message was too long, so I tried to restart the program and it wouldn't let me log in. I think he told me about one he uses, but I forgot the name. I guess I should get Skype as well?
Back to top Go down
Samaël
Kamen Rider
Samaël

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMTue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Skype or Line
Back to top Go down
Suikoden
Tired
Suikoden

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMThu Feb 04, 2016 6:49 pm

Samaël wrote:
Prinny

Prinny

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMSat Feb 06, 2016 12:54 pm

So I reinstalled AIM, and its still messing up, so Skype it is!
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMSat Feb 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Yup I'd recommend Skype for now, but if you want something more gaming centric, Discord's gonna be giving Skype a run for its money once they implement more of the planned features. One of the biggest things it's missing at the moment compared to Skype is friends lists right now. Currently the only way to direct message someone is if they're on one of the same chat servers you're on. Friends lists will supposedly be coming soon though.
Back to top Go down
Venom
My Mule is Sexy
Venom

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMSun Feb 07, 2016 8:05 am

MSN had replaced AIM for me, and then when that went POOF, then Skype replaced it. Steam's chat program isn't too bad either, when Steam works anyway...
So yeah, Skype is the way to go right now.
Back to top Go down
http://venom800tt.deviantart.com/
Jean

Jean

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMSun Mar 27, 2016 12:10 am

Most peole I know use Facebook messaging nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Liberation Maiden

Liberation Maiden

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMMon Mar 28, 2016 1:20 am

I'd say Line, but, it depends, since it's still fairly smaller than its competitors you may not really find people you know that use it.
Back to top Go down
Prinny

Prinny

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMMon Mar 28, 2016 3:16 am

Discord is fairly small, too, but it works really, really well so I kinda want to use that instead of Skype. Skype is slow and kinda buggy.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMMon Mar 28, 2016 10:25 am

^I had suggested Discord before but it wasn't really fully featured enough for me to recommend it. However they recently added friend lists, making it just about equal to Skype. They still have temporary group/voice chats among friends to implement to make it truly equal, but it's damn good.

I made a topic before and was going to make a Discord server if there was enough interest. While I never got much of a response, this morning I went ahead and did that since it's free! Here's the invite link.

At the moment I am allowing everyone to use text chat or voice chat, but I plan on that to change eventually since I just put a link on a public forum. I haven't had the time this morning to adjust permissions how I'd want yet however, plus it's easier having the permissions more lenient to start with. I have three roles set up: Shepherds, Squires, and Seraphim. Shepherds will be admins, and Squires will be mods. Seraphim will be the regular users. Users without a role - that is, what everyone will be when they first join, can do everything a Seraphim can at the moment, minus being able to use @everyone which hails everyone on the server. I don't want some random schmoe dropping into the server and abusing that.

If you join right now I won't be able to add you to a role until after work - that's part of why I've got the permissions set up really leniently right now. Also, this is supposed to be our discord server, not mine, so if any forum mods/admins join I will add them to the Squire role when I can (after they PM me on the forum to verify). I might add the admins to Shepherds when I have more time to fiddle with role permissions. Right now Shepherds have all permissions which might be a little much.

If nobody wants to use the server that's fine too - this is an experiment, really. I just went ahead and made it since it's free and if there's not enough interest I can just delete it.
Back to top Go down
Liberation Maiden

Liberation Maiden

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMMon Mar 28, 2016 12:13 pm

I've never used Discord before, but I just joined the server! I'll try to get the hang of it and learn more about it.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaMMon Mar 28, 2016 2:35 pm

EDIT: Server deleted because it was clear the entire idea was a failure from the start.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AOL IM Alternatives    AOL IM Alternatives  07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

AOL IM Alternatives
Page 1 of 1