HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Two Symphonia questions I had

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nettlesome

PostSubject: Two Symphonia questions I had   Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:01 am

Hi everyone, nice to see a place still talking about this great game. My questions:

1. Regarding the Devil's Arms, I understand that the number of kills by a character will determine the power of the weapon once Abyssion is beaten. But what happens to the Soul Eater and Fafnir, which can be used by both Kratos and Zelos? Do both their kills affect the weapon? Or one for each, or something? I guess maybe no-one knows this but I thought I'd try to get an answer.

2. Does anyone know if there is an online cooking guide for the first ToS? I remember seeing something once that told you exactly how much percent each meal recovered so you could optimise. But I cannot find it anymore.

Thankyou! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Phaelin

PostSubject: Re: Two Symphonia questions I had   Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:26 pm

For your first question, as far as I know the number of kills is stored on the character and not the Devil's Arm. So it doesn't matter which Devil's Arm a particular character is using; it's his individual kill counter that applies. The formula given online is Str/2 + kills/2 and my tests so far appear to confirm that. Here are some example tests that I did:

Lloyd:
Str: (356 / 2) + Kills: (4687 / 2) = 178 + 2343 = 2521 damage in theory;
actual damage in practice: 2412-2624
Raine:
Str: (233 / 2) + Kills: (391 / 2) = 116 + 195 = 311 damage in theory;
actual damage in practice: 304-313
Zelos:
Str: (340 / 2) + Kills: (2555 / 2) = 170 + 1277 = 1447 damage in theory;
actual damage in practice: 1439

(These tests were done on critters wandering around Iselia so their Def is negligible--though they do have some, so that's something to keep in mind; plus remember that damage is randomized plus Acc/Eva plays in there somehow too...)

Side note: Kill count is supposedly capped at 5000 at least as far as the Devil's Arms are concerned, but as you can see I haven't gotten up there quite yet to actually test this yet.

As for the second question... There used to be some really nice guides posted on the Namco Tales forums but I don't know that they're online anymore? Among them I remember a comprehensive armor/weapon guide (Strong VS Physical!) and a cooking guide that detailed which ingredients are included in which categories and their individual effects and such. I miss those...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zwei.0

PostSubject: Re: Two Symphonia questions I had   Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Phaelin wrote:

Raine:
Str: (233 / 2) + Kills: (391 / 2) = 116 + 195 = 311 damage in theory;
actual damage in practice: 304-313
this yet.

So, they ARE pretty much useless for magic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nettlesome

PostSubject: Re: Two Symphonia questions I had   Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:09 am

Wow, thank you! That's really useful - I wonder how many playthroughs it would take to max the Devils Arms. I'm on my 9th now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Phaelin

PostSubject: Re: Two Symphonia questions I had   Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:02 pm

Zwei.0 wrote:
So, they ARE pretty much useless for magic?

As far as I know. But let's put it to the test.

Genis:
Str: 198 Int: 348 Kills: 732
Explosion with Devil's Arm equipped: 2573, 2550, 2469
Explosion with default weapon equipped: 2708, 2795, 2930, 2790

Yep, he's doing more damage without the Devil's Arm equipped. Why? Presumably because his Devil's Arm has -30 Int. But Genis has only 732 kills; that's not really very many. Let's try a spellcaster with more kills.

Colette:
Str: 269 Int: 240 Kills: 1509
Angel Feathers with Devil's Arm equipped: 430, 424, 437
Angel Feathers with default weapon equipped: 422, 449, 442, 455
Regular melee attack with Devil's Arm equipped: 893, 887, 885
Regular melee attack with default weapon equipped: 160, 153, 158, 155

So from what I can tell in my (admittedly brief) tests, it seems the special calculation for Devil's Arms affects only physical attack power and not magical damage.

Of course, Raine's Devil's Arm has that nice +50 Int attached to it, so in that sense, having it equipped helps her--even before activating the Devil's Arms by defeating Abyssion. I mean, considering her next-best weapon is +12 Int if I recall correctly, that's a big difference. (And it's probably why they require you to get hers last.) The irony? Int has no impact on the effectiveness of healing magic. XD

Nettlesome wrote:
I wonder how many playthroughs it would take to max the Devils Arms. I'm on my 9th now.

If you carried over "Battle Info" in the GRADE Shop for each of those plays (and assuming doing so actually carries over the kill counts, which is something I haven't personally tested yet), then you should already be maxed out, at least for your frontline fighters. That 4687 kill count for Lloyd, above, is after carrying over Battle Info only 2 or 3 times (the other plays I didn't bother to buy that option as far as I can recall). Granted, I keep Lloyd in the battle party at all times, and I tend to fight lots of battles, thereby inflating Lloyd's kill count in particular (the next-highest character in my party is only half his amount). But still, it shouldn't be hard to tell one way or the other. Just load up a game with activated Devil's Arms, equip them, go whack a rabbit near Iselia, and do some back-of-the-envelope math. If the character's damage is in the neighborhood of the following calculation then you know that character is maxed out: (Str / 2) + 2500 (which is 5000 / 2). (If it's much greater than this, then it's possible that the stated 5000 maximum is actually untrue...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zwei.0

PostSubject: Re: Two Symphonia questions I had   Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks! I wish they would just show us how high the stats are ingame. IIRC, Vesperia did that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bo Staff Katana
Fatal Old Man

PostSubject: Re: Two Symphonia questions I had   Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:42 pm

Yeah, Vesperia did that. Man, I need to go back and play that again. I need some more Raven in my life.

View user profile
Phaelin

PostSubject: Re: Two Symphonia questions I had   Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:19 pm

Just a quick note, in case anyone was curious: Kills are capped at 5000. And not just regarding the Devil's Arms calculation. The variable in the save file simply doesn't go any higher once it reaches 5000. I didn't notice until now that I've had Lloyd capped out for the last 20 levels or so...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two Symphonia questions I had   

Back to top Go down

Two Symphonia questions I had
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tales of Reservia :: Tales Series Discussion :: Tales of Symphonia-
Jump to: