Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Slay's Localized name is...

Go down 
+17
Lord Yggdrasill
Infernookami
BlazingFiddlesticks
Lloyzerdk
TimeFactor
Suikoden
Falcom
Txn
Slivendiferious
Zwei.0
cutepresea
Scrawlers
PanbanRichard
Arn
DylDawg
DreamSword
Varrius
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMSat Jul 05, 2014 9:03 pm

Lloyzerdk wrote:
Did we ever get an official romanization for his name. If so then Sorey doesn't bother me.
Yes, it was indeed romanized as Slay.

That in itself works as a name, but if they wanted to change it, then other names mentioned in this topic such as Sora and Solei would have worked out alot better. Sorey just sounds stupid to me. Even Soreh would've rolled off the tongue better.
Back to top Go down
DylDawg
Amazing Dawg Idol
DylDawg

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMSun Jul 06, 2014 3:03 am

Solei is one letter from, and reminds me of:

Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 Solaire-of-astora-large
Back to top Go down
Suikoden
Tired
Suikoden

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMMon Jul 07, 2014 3:01 am

^ Yer image reminds me of this. V

Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 RJtR58H
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMTue Jul 08, 2014 1:37 pm

It could be worse, but Solei does speak closer to Slay to me. It's a no-win situation, really, since Slay is one of those silly "Edge Maverick"-esque non-names, but I'm just going to read it as Sore-eh.
Back to top Go down
Scrawlers

Scrawlers

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMTue Jul 08, 2014 5:58 pm

They should have just called him Hiccup and been done with it.
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMTue Jul 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Scrawlers wrote:
They should have just called him Hiccup and been done with it.
Nonononononono!

A hideous name would've scared off the divine!
Back to top Go down
Scrawlers

Scrawlers

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMTue Jul 08, 2014 7:43 pm

No no, hideous names only scare off trolls. He'd probably still be good with the divine. Probably.

In any case, it would make the inevitable dragon training go that much more smoothly.
Back to top Go down
Infernookami

Infernookami

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMMon Aug 11, 2014 12:09 am

Hell I would have been okay with calling him Sleigh, he looks like he could be an ornament on a Christmas tree. But Sorey... the community is gonna eat that up and produce more shit like the Lloyd coffee meme.
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMMon Aug 11, 2014 1:36 am

Someone's bought a new shovel.
Back to top Go down
Infernookami

Infernookami

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMMon Aug 11, 2014 2:07 am

Arn wrote:
Someone's bought a new shovel.
Yeah, I'm just now noticing the post date lol but meh his localized name pisses me off and I wanted to rant *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
cutepresea

cutepresea

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMMon Aug 11, 2014 2:46 am

Get mad at the Japanese branch then, because it's what they're using.
Back to top Go down
Lord Yggdrasill

Lord Yggdrasill

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Aug 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Wow the names, I wonder whats the need to change Alicia to Alisa since both are common English names.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Aug 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Except it is Alisha. It's a very subtle difference in katakana but they're different.

アリーシャ, Ariisha, Alisha
アリシア・コンバティール, Arishia Konbatiiru, Alicia Combatir
Back to top Go down
cutepresea

cutepresea

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Aug 14, 2014 4:49 pm

You can't change what wasn't there. ;P
We didn't have an official spelling before, so "Alicia" was a guess a lot of people made. People were also using Alisha. It just depended on who you asked.
Back to top Go down
Yume Hanabi
Yume Hanabi

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMFri Aug 15, 2014 5:55 am

Yep, been using Alisha from the beginning =P
Back to top Go down
http://yume-x-hanabi.tumblr.com
AriArk2000
Fresh Mutton Dealer!
AriArk2000

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMMon Aug 25, 2014 6:26 pm

How do you thing it's pronounced?
If it's so-ray, i'm ok with that, but if it's sorry, or similar to that, that's just ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Friendzie

Friendzie

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Aug 28, 2014 9:50 am

In their defense, Surei doesn't exactly sound like "Slay" to me.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Aug 28, 2014 10:23 am

In many cases, the u is considered silent or almost silent. (Also his name consists of the first 3 katakana of my favorite anime, Slayers. So there's that.)

I've been reading it as "soary" as far as pronunciation goes for his English name but we'll have to see once there's a dubbed trailer out.
Back to top Go down
Suikoden
Tired
Suikoden

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMThu Aug 28, 2014 11:25 am

Y'know what would be hilarious? If they just randomly named him Fred or somethin'...

I can see it now... Yume's sitting on the edge of her seat waiting intensely for their announcement on his localized name when they drop an atom bomb by saying his name will be Fred. She'd ease her back in to her chair in a complete and total state of Wat. Eyes wide and mouth gaping open; with common sense thrown out the window, she'd hold a grudge against NB for their decision for the rest of her days....
Back to top Go down
Friendzie

Friendzie

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMFri Aug 29, 2014 9:29 am

Tenshigami wrote:
In many cases, the u is considered silent or almost silent. (Also his name consists of the first 3 katakana of my favorite anime, Slayers. So there's that.)

I've been reading it as "soary" as far as pronunciation goes for his English name but we'll have to see once there's a dubbed trailer out.

EDIT: scratch what I said earlier. After playing Vesperia in Japanese I feel like modern Japanese speakers are a little better with their Ls than I remember from college over a decade ago. I could swear they were saying the L sound for some of the names.

Last edited by Friendzie on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMFri Aug 29, 2014 9:52 am

That's because of their speech it's not something that can be fixed without proper english training. Keep in mind that katakana is not used to write in english words only too.

The "So" in Sorey is probably meant to be spoken as "Su".

Back to top Go down
Yume Hanabi
Yume Hanabi

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMFri Aug 29, 2014 12:40 pm

Suikiwiden wrote:
I can see it now... Yume's sitting on the edge of her seat waiting intensely for their announcement on his localized name when they drop an atom bomb by saying his name will be Fred. She'd ease her back in to her chair in a complete and total state of Wat. Eyes wide and mouth gaping open; with common sense thrown out the window, she'd hold a grudge against NB for their decision for the rest of her days....
That'd be fun, but isn't "Sorey" the localized name already? (judging from this topic's title...)
Back to top Go down
http://yume-x-hanabi.tumblr.com
Suikoden
Tired
Suikoden

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaMFri Aug 29, 2014 3:37 pm

Yume Hanabi wrote:
Suikiwiden wrote:
That'd be fun, but isn't "Sorey" the localized name already? (judging from this topic's title...)
Yeah it is. D:

I was just thinking how something like that in an alternate dimension (fractured maybe?) might play out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slay's Localized name is...   Slay's Localized name is... - Page 2 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Slay's Localized name is...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2