Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

them young rappists

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rance-sama
Admin
Rance-sama

them young rappists Empty
PostSubject: them young rappists   them young rappists 07v2DaMSun Feb 09, 2014 2:24 pm

Hi tales. I don't think too many of you listen to rap at all but whatever.

So let's discuss the new generation of rappers that are coming up; Kanye and Jay-Z are still around, doing things, but they've reached their zenith it seems and while still skilled wordsmiths, they're more discussing their situation in being extremely affluent rather than the aspirations they have or any pertinent issues.

Right off the bat it makes sense to mention OFWGKTA (aka Odd Future), which is a collective rather than a single person. Tyler, the Creator aptly assembled the group which expands and contracts as is necessary. Members do their own projects with or without support, but probably the most noteworthy in my opinion is Earl Sweatshirt. If you haven't listened to Doris, I don't know what you're doing.

ofc there's also Macklemore who won a Grammy for some reason. Yes, he's challenged stereotypes for both rap's homophobia as well as the image that a rapper has to be black or Eminem to succeed, and does well. I disagree with him getting the Grammy but he is, no doubt, a pretty solid rapper especially when you consider that his explosion onto the mainstream's face was with Thrift Shop.

if this is the direction the genre is headed i'm happy because hopefully that means less YOLO shit

what do you think???????????????????????
Back to top Go down
DoubleL

DoubleL

PostSubject: Re: them young rappists   them young rappists 07v2DaMSun Feb 09, 2014 3:33 pm

I've been following K.Flay for years and it looks like she might actually get a shot at some mainstream exposure, having just been signed to RCA and touring with...whoever that band is that wrote that song about crashing your car and not caring.

Regardless, she's great:

I'll admit that I haven't heard of Odd Future or Earl Sweatshirt, but that mostly stems from me never having any idea what's going on in music. Regardless, after listening to that song, I definitely want to look into more.

And speaking of things going on in music and Mackelmore's Grammy, I did catch a bit of the story where he said Kendrick Lamar deserved to win and, as a result, decided to look into Kendrick Lamar. There definitely seems to be some good stuff going on there.

Overall, my rap collection is extremely anemic though and I could probably stand to start expanding.

Edit:
Is Kid Cudi still making waves? I dismissed him as junk Top-40s rap years ago when he was really starting to get noticed, especially with that one song that riffed on Poker Face (Make Her Say). Then I actually listened to his stuff relatively recently and realized I didn't know what the heck I was talking about.

Back to top Go down
DoubleL

DoubleL

PostSubject: Re: them young rappists   them young rappists 07v2DaMThu Feb 13, 2014 12:43 am

Then there's those RHYME KINGS tearing up the scene.

They goin' places.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: them young rappists   them young rappists 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

them young rappists
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tales of Reservia :: General Subforums :: Music-
Jump to: