Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tear's VA revealed?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Paladin Cecil

Tear's VA revealed? Empty
PostSubject: Tear's VA revealed?   Tear's VA revealed? 07v2DaMFri Oct 30, 2015 4:14 am

I don't know if this has recently been mentioned in prior topics or not and if it has, my apologies.

For several years after the North American release of Tales of the Abyss, it's been a mystery who Tear's English VA is, and even a number of the main actors claimed to not know who voiced the character.
I remember there being speculation of Heather Halley voicing her (which she reportedly denied) and the Wikipedia bio used to say that it was Wendee Lee. But I have a good feeling that the actual voice of the character has been confirmed. On Tales of the Abyss's Wikipedia page, IMDB and Behind The Voice Actors, it's claimed that the voice of Tear is a woman named Nicole Balick.
Because of three different sources claiming it, I have a good feeling that it's true. I admit that Tear could've been a much better character and thought that she was pretty forgettable, but for a long time I've been wondering who did play her and found it unusual that no one knew.
But if the sources I saw are correct, I'm glad that we finally know who the actress is.

What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

PostSubject: Re: Tear's VA revealed?   Tear's VA revealed? 07v2DaMSat Oct 31, 2015 12:38 am

Yep, that's her voice actress, but that's been known for around 7 or so years now.

I'm fairly certain she also voiced Stella in Legendia.
Back to top Go down
Paladin Cecil

PostSubject: Re: Tear's VA revealed?   Tear's VA revealed? 07v2DaMSat Oct 31, 2015 2:08 am

When exactly was it revealed? I remember asking cast members Michael McConnohie, Johnny Yong Bosch and Stephanie Sheh at cons in '09, '10 and '11, and none of them knew. I also heard that even Yuri Lowenthal didn't know.

I'm glad that we know now, but this is an example for why video games need to have a cast listing on the credits. I don't know why the Tales games started excluding it.
Back to top Go down
GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

PostSubject: Re: Tear's VA revealed?   Tear's VA revealed? 07v2DaMSat Oct 31, 2015 2:45 am

If I remember right, it was when Eternal Sonata was released that people made the connection that Nicole Balick/Karrer was Tear. Eternal Sonata was credited and had a character that sounded like Tear, so people put two and two together etc.

I'm sure the other cast members did know (at at least they did at one point), but it's not really their place to reveal other cast members who may not want to be revealed. We still end up learning these voice actors/actresses years later one way or another, so here's hoping we figure out Elize eventually.

I'm fairly certain Tales games, and most games similar to them, aren't credited due to union issues. Or at least that's what I thought until a few other non-union games came along with credits listed. So I really don't know, but there's probably all sorts of rules and such that make them unable to list credits in game (though you could try asking the voice director for the series, I think it's still Wendee Lee).
Back to top Go down
Paladin Cecil

PostSubject: Re: Tear's VA revealed?   Tear's VA revealed? 07v2DaMSat Oct 31, 2015 11:41 am

It's definitely possible that Nicole wanted to be kept anonymous and that some cast members from the game were aware of that, but the ones I spoke to said they didn't know because VAs usually record separately.
Back to top Go down
Suikoden
Tired
Suikoden

PostSubject: Re: Tear's VA revealed?   Tear's VA revealed? 07v2DaMTue Nov 10, 2015 2:07 am

So I noticed something that I'm surprised no one else has picked up on: Captain Phila from Fire Emblem: Awakening has Tear's voice.

Don't believe me?

I've timestamped the part in this video where she speaks.

https://youtu.be/49ANL8WIQnM?t=25m51s

If that's not Tear I don't know what is. There's other portions early on in the game where she speaks but I'd rather not dig those up atm.
Back to top Go down
GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

PostSubject: Re: Tear's VA revealed?   Tear's VA revealed? 07v2DaMTue Nov 10, 2015 8:34 am

I don't think it's that no one else picked up on it, it think it's just that nobody really cared about good ol' Captain Phila.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tear's VA revealed?   Tear's VA revealed? 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Tear's VA revealed?
Page 1 of 1