Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Translation HALP!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Smuglord
Lord o' Smug
Smuglord

Translation HALP! Empty
PostSubject: Translation HALP!   Translation HALP! 07v2DaMTue Apr 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Well dudes, and dudettes. I'm majoring on English (well, more like getting a Bachelor's) and I have this subject "Literary translation" which, by its own name should tell you that is a royal pain in my royal ass because we have to translate literary texts from English to Spanish and vice-versa.
Then, my beloved citizens, I have two main questions that which I need them to be answered by a native speaker. So, after my long tl;dr, here I go.

You see, in Spanish, we have the word "Maestro" and you can call anybody whom you hold in a high regard as that, I translated it as "Master" but it just doesn't seem to make the job, so what word do you use instead of "Master", or which word would you use?
The another is the Spanish word "Cuzca" which is a girl who is somewhat slutty but she only flirts. The issue with the aforementioned is that, it suffers from a generational gap. It's not used as often as it used to be, and in my translation I went with "slutty" but, it doesn't do it either, so what word should I use that sound natural in English?

If there is something you don't understand, tell me, to explain myself better. Thank you beforehand my comrades!
Back to top Go down
Dr. Casey
Anime Girl Advocate
Dr. Casey

Translation HALP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Translation HALP!   Translation HALP! 07v2DaMTue Apr 01, 2014 11:18 pm

Smuglord wrote:
The another is the Spanish word "Cuzca" which is a girl who is somewhat slutty but she only flirts.

"Tease" is the best translation for this that I can think of. There's also "cocktease," though that's a more vulgar and derogatory term that's generally used as an insult (that is, someone who's angry at a girl or guy who flirted with them too much despite having no real interest in them might call that person a cocktease) and I wouldn't recommend using it in a class, unless maybe the character who utters the word is a really crude and vulgar person. "Coquette" is another word that would work, though it's somewhat old-fashioned and there's a good amount of people that might not recognize it. "Flirt" and "vamp" are also options that might be fitting (the latter is basically never used in modern society ever, but it might be an appropriate word choice in fiction sometimes). A lot of this depends on whether the word 'cuzca' is used in the exposition or if it's instead used in a line of dialogue, and if so who the dialogue in question comes from.

As for maestro - you use the word for anyone that you hold in high regard? The closest English equivalent I can think of is "Sir" (which you generally use for those that you're supposed to show respect and subservience towards - adults that are significantly older than you, parents, teachers, your boss at work, etc), though I'm not sure that's a perfect fit.
Back to top Go down
Smuglord
Lord o' Smug
Smuglord

Translation HALP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Translation HALP!   Translation HALP! 07v2DaMTue Apr 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Well, actually "Coquette" would fit, or "tease" the woman who said "cuzca" is saying it scornfuly, but, actually Coquette is quite nice but too elegant, maybe a term between tease and Coquette?
Those are two options I must ask my teacher, because, at least, for me, they are two good terms.

As for Maestro, the direct English translation is "Teacher" but, we use "Maestro" as to adress someone who is very knowledgeable. I don't know if the word "Maestro" in Abyss comes from some musical term, but the way they use it in the game is the way we use it. Yes, albeit, Sir is almost there, it lacks that something that Maestro conveys. But thank you, maybe the term Maestro with the given example is more understandable...maybe D:
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

Translation HALP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Translation HALP!   Translation HALP! 07v2DaMWed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 am

Direct from Wikipedia, "Maestro (from the Italian maestro, meaning "master" or "teacher") is a title of
extreme respect given to a master musician."

We use it in that context, and also to call someone a master of something.
Back to top Go down
Smuglord
Lord o' Smug
Smuglord

Translation HALP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Translation HALP!   Translation HALP! 07v2DaMWed Apr 02, 2014 1:19 am

Taiyz wrote:
Direct from Wikipedia, "Maestro (from the Italian maestro, meaning "master" or "teacher") is a title of
extreme respect given to a master musician."

We use it in that context, and also to call someone a master of something.
I suspected it was Italian all along...but, the issue is that, he is not a master of certain discipline, but he is hold in high regard by his knowledge and fame on the literary world Sad
BTW: Thank you xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Translation HALP! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Translation HALP!   Translation HALP! 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Translation HALP!
Page 1 of 1