Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So the PC port of this game is lousy

Go down 
+4
Taiyz
Zwei.0
Psypher
Lloyzerdk
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Lloyzerdk

Lloyzerdk

So the PC port of this game is lousy Empty
PostSubject: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMTue Feb 02, 2016 6:33 pm

http://www.pcgamer.com/broken-pc-ports-like-tales-of-symphonia-are-unacceptable/

A shame. I already own the PS3 version, but it sounded like a lot of this stuff could've been avoided if the team who ported this knew what they were doing.
Back to top Go down
Psypher

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMTue Feb 02, 2016 7:47 pm

Bummer. I'll stick with my PS3 version since its da best
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMWed Feb 03, 2016 1:47 am

I was thinking of making the obligatory topic, beat me to it. Got it with the Zestiria pre-order I would have made regardless, so no lost funds here.

Its baffling.

I was expecting the PS3 version with arbitrary resolutions.  Not much to ask.  Kind of the given.  Instead we get a technically-functional port with a menagerie of nonsensical issues with equally nonsensical DRM (nowhere to be found on the new game, but on the decade old game?) on top.  A lot of the more embarrassing ones have already been fixed, I think we're really just waiting for the resolution adjuster to actually work at this point (so I hope), but then their being fixed less than 24 hours after release only makes the negligence of whoever was assigned the port all the more pronounced.

Oh, I forgot, six save slots.  Six.  Sure you use the old "copy your memory card ad infinitum" trick, but why should I do that when the PS3 version's save structure had no (practical) limit?
Back to top Go down
Zwei.0

Zwei.0

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMWed Feb 03, 2016 9:43 am

They did fix a few things now. If I see that right the only problem left is the resolution and only having 6 saves (and 30 FPS, if you care about that).
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMFri Feb 05, 2016 2:47 pm

So Namco (or whoever they outsourced this to, more like) did indeed fix the most egregious problems, now Durante has set up a GeDoSaTo profile and Kaldaien the master of unlocking pumped out a frame limiter fix. As one with hardware that would not be the best for GDST's downscaling magic, I fear this gives the port team the excuse to avoid making the in-game resolution menu actually work; why do anything more when modders will do it for you in three days? Dark Souls was never actually fixed either if I remember.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMFri Feb 05, 2016 4:48 pm

Couldn't it be possible that Zestiria and Symphonia where outsourced to different teams? That would be the likeliest explanation.
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMFri Feb 05, 2016 8:58 pm

Taiyz wrote:
Couldn't it be possible that Zestiria and Symphonia where outsourced to different teams? That would be the likeliest explanation.

That is almost certainly the case- naturally we'll never know. What is curious is that when working on his stutter fix Kaldaien confirmed that it used the same (broken, as he described it) framelimter Zestiria did. But a shared porting process does not mean much.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMFri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 pm

I mean, it could be middleware.
Back to top Go down
Zwei.0

Zwei.0

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMSat Feb 06, 2016 9:35 pm

Seems like ToZ was done by the EU branch while ToS was done by US. Maybe they didn't have the same people because of Naruto?
Back to top Go down
fateoffate
The Molester
fateoffate

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMSun Feb 07, 2016 4:29 am

That Denuvo DRM killing your SSD. Glad I didn't buy it.
I was excited because I thought this is gonna be the first time I'm playing Symphonia.

Everyone hyping it as the best entry of tales.
Then this happens...

Yeah, my first tales is Eternia (called Destiny II back then) but I didn't follow the series again until Legendia and Abyss.
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMSun Feb 07, 2016 7:46 pm

http://steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/412446292767250664/#p1

And we seem to have our explanation; this is also the crew that ported Ultra Street Fighter IV to the PS4 with a similarly dysfunctional result, last I remember.  Sounds like Namco America did this on the cheap and we may now call them out for it.  Hilariously enough, the most recent poster says that Capcom outsourced the PC version of USFIV to QLOC... the Polish group that did Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Zestiria.  Not high profile enough, I guess?

How does Denuvo kill SSD's, exactly?  Making a new .exe file at every boot of the game is one copy too many, but off that alone "killing" sounds like too strong a word.
Back to top Go down
fateoffate
The Molester
fateoffate

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMMon Feb 08, 2016 12:09 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:
How does Denuvo kill SSD's, exactly?  Making a new .exe file at every boot of the game is one copy too many, but off that alone "killing" sounds like too strong a word.
It keep writing stuffs in C: when you're playing.
Which means it shorten your SSD lifespan much faster.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMFri Feb 19, 2016 12:48 pm

So Kaldaien is a man on a mission.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/372360/discussions/0/412446292759260120/

The only performance optimization left at this point is 60 FPS, on which he has moved from "impossible" to "eventually, copy protection's fighting back now". Sadly we still can't tell people to buy it.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMFri Feb 19, 2016 12:59 pm

Saddest part is that the copy protection isn't even doing its job, as the pirates can still play this port apparently (plus the GC version can be emulated).

All it does is prevent modders from fixing Bandai Namco's mess and making the PC version the best version to play.
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaMSun Mar 06, 2016 5:26 pm

So I don't know how many people kept following the game on Steam, but a month out and the port is less lousy- the crashes are gone, we have 100 save slots, and VMProtect was removed with last week's patch.  Toggable resolutions are really the only critical issue left, but the mad modder from Cape Coral finds the way OO decided to render the game so backward and complicated that he is not sure if the patch team would know how to implement them!  Meanwhile the fix is basically the "plays like a dream" button at this point, and I think he is about to move on to the Disgaea port.

Still "pay the negligent publisher to use great fan-fix" at this point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So the PC port of this game is lousy   So the PC port of this game is lousy 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

So the PC port of this game is lousy
Page 1 of 1