Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Forum Modifications General

Go down 
+5
warriorangel01
Slivendiferious
Moontoon
Tenshigami
Drake
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Drake
Admin
Drake

Forum Modifications General Empty
PostSubject: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSat Feb 15, 2014 11:00 pm

Will be posting modifications and suggestions for modifications here.

Today:

• Just destroyed the ads. Suck it, forumotion.
  • Increased forum width to 90% because why not.

Last edited by Drake on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Vulcapyro
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 pm

Drake wrote:

• Just destroyed the ads. Suck it, forumotion.

Ahahahaha, oh wow.

You sir, are awesome.
Back to top Go down
Drake
Admin
Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSat Feb 15, 2014 11:25 pm

I've been playing with the styling and I want to see what people think.

http://jsfiddle.net/8yFC9

So many tables. Please stop the tables. Why tables. Proboards pls.
Back to top Go down
Moontoon
Admin
Moontoon

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSun Feb 16, 2014 4:16 am

Wow, how did you remove the ads?
Back to top Go down
http://moontoon.deviantart.com
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSun Feb 16, 2014 7:08 am

Nicely done!
Back to top Go down
Drake
Admin
Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSun Feb 16, 2014 7:34 am

It was surprisingly easy, I just had to find the container that the ads were in, and run some javascript to find specifically that container and delete it on page load. I never actually saw any ads, but the big empty space where it would be was enough for me to get rid of it.

If I could get some opinions on the suggested page styling there that would be good.
EDIT: jsfiddle seems to increase the poster profile text's line spacing; that should look as it currently is.

Last edited by Drake on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSun Feb 16, 2014 9:17 am

Drake wrote:
It was surprisingly easy, I just had to find the container that the ads were in, and run some javascript to find specifically that container and delete it on page load. I never actually saw any ads, but the big empty space where it would be was enough for me to get rid of it.
You sly devil.

Good thinking.

I think the page is a just a tiny little bit too wide right now, to be honest. Maybe 85% would look better?

I personally like the line between the poster and the post, so I don't think it would be a good idea to get rid of that.
edit: nvm I guess?
Back to top Go down
Moontoon
Admin
Moontoon

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSun Feb 16, 2014 2:23 pm

My adblock still seems to be blocking atleast one ad when I'm visiting this site, but I the space is gone so no matter Shocked Well done, sir Drake.
Back to top Go down
http://moontoon.deviantart.com
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSun Feb 16, 2014 3:10 pm

The ad when you view a user's profile is still there now that I think about it, because that's in a different spot. With adblock it appears as a black square.

What Drake's done is a huge improvement though.
Back to top Go down
Drake
Admin
Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMSun Feb 16, 2014 8:30 pm

I didn't even realize there was an ad there. Destroyed.

Moony, I think it should still load the ad since the javascript waits for the page to load before running, it's just deleted immediately. Adblock probably gets to it first. EDIT: yep
Back to top Go down
warriorangel01

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMMon Feb 17, 2014 7:59 pm

Is there a way we can fix the shitty mobile version rendered or do you not have access to that in the admin panel
Back to top Go down
Rainstorm
All-New!
Rainstorm

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMMon Feb 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Ahhhhh, thank you Drake!
Back to top Go down
Drake
Admin
Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMMon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 pm

warriorangel01 wrote:
Is there a way we can fix the shitty mobile version rendered or do you not have access to that in the admin panel
There's already a link to the "classic version" in the crappy top menu, and your device should have the option to switch by itself.
Back to top Go down
warriorangel01

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMWed Feb 19, 2014 1:44 am

ah yeah, I know about that. sometimes I'm just too lazy to switch until it starts inconveniencing me (i.e., PNF thread, today in gaming, etc.)
Back to top Go down
Suikoden
Tired
Suikoden

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMThu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Somethin' still feels a little off.
Back to top Go down
Drake
Admin
Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMThu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm up for suggestions because I really have no idea what I'm doing design-wise.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMThu Feb 20, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm not sure if I'm losing my mind or if the new width is playing tricks on me, but the forum currently seems like it's missing some breaks and other dividers between colours. I really don't like how things just tend to meld into one big blob, most notably the subforum lists on the main page.

Like,
Moderator: Moderators
Tales of Symphonia
was like

If I remember right. I think there was also a divider separating avatars and bios from the actual post, and another separating the profile buttons from the signature.

When I first used it today I thought that my browser wasn't loading the page correctly.
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMThu Feb 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Things are off.

I don't like the new layout.

Apple minimalism kinda works because of the gradients. Try using gradients?
Back to top Go down
Drake
Admin
Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMMon Feb 24, 2014 12:20 am

Taiyz wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm losing my mind or if the new width is playing tricks on me, but the forum currently seems like it's missing some breaks and other dividers between colours. I really don't like how things just tend to meld into one big blob, most notably the subforum lists on the main page.

Like,
Tales of Symphonia
was like

If I remember right. I think there was also a divider separating avatars and bios from the actual post, and another separating the profile buttons from the signature.

When I first used it today I thought that my browser wasn't loading the page correctly.
Can do. When I'm not busy. Mainly, I wanted to get rid of the strictness of the table formatting that put border lines on literally everything. It's difficult to change only certain areas since forumotion doesn't do a very good job of identifying elements with ids and classes. Many classes are used for completely different areas of the site and it's rely hard to track what gets changed.

As far as the profile-post divider goes, I wanted to get rid of that mainly because of how squashed it looked. The signature-contact buttons divider might return but I was going to redo them to make them a bit smaller and maybe shove them on the right side. Thoughts?

Sliv: That is an unintentional side-effect of adding some padding to certain elements so the text isn't mashed against the left side, I'll try to fix that too.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMWed Feb 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Weren't the gels aligned with the subforum title before? Now they're centered with the subforum description which really looks off.
Back to top Go down
Drake
Admin
Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMWed Feb 26, 2014 5:13 pm

I don't think so, since it's embedded right in the HTML, but I can change that easily. Done.

The class selector used is very unspecific so it's possible other places might suddenly be top-aligned instead of middle-aligned. Inform if so.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMWed Feb 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Drake wrote:
I don't think so, since it's embedded right in the HTML, but I can change that easily. Done.

The class selector used is very unspecific so it's possible other places might suddenly be top-aligned instead of middle-aligned. Inform if so.
Ok, maybe it was just the missing borders throwing off my eyes, but I think it does look better now.
Back to top Go down
Falunel

Falunel

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMThu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 am

There was a thick black bar between posts on the original TSF, if you want photorealism.

Otherwise, I discovered a stash of old TSF screencaps the other day (buttons for quoting, etc), most of which still have the posting buttons on them. If it's desired, I can attempt to crop them and synthesize new buttons for use on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Drake
Admin
Drake

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaMThu Feb 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Ugh, it did screw something up, the dumb mouseover color change thing in forum thread listings were affected. Fixed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum Modifications General   Forum Modifications General 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Forum Modifications General
Page 1 of 1