Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Final Fantasy IV The After Years

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Paladin Cecil

Final Fantasy IV The After Years Empty
PostSubject: Final Fantasy IV The After Years   Final Fantasy IV The After Years 07v2DaMMon Feb 24, 2014 12:29 am

Who all here has played or watched playthroughs of Final Fantasy IV The After Years and what did you think of it?
My thoughts:
When I heard an announcement earlier this month that Yuri Lowenthal was attending the next Sac Anime, I was psyched and it motivated me to play through FF IV again. Even though it's been one of my favorite RPGs for a long time, I hadn't played it in several years and it was a lot of fun playing through the DS version again, along with hearing Yuri's awesome performance as Cecil. After playing it long enough, I got tempted to get the PSP version, so I could get the complete edition. Although TFA had been out for several years, I was afraid to view it. I thought the original game had ended so well, that I felt they shouldn't mess with it, since it would risk ruining a lot of things.
But because I couldn't take it anymore, I just thought, "Screw it."
I watched a playthrough of it on YouTube and really liked what they did with it. I thought the story was very addictive, it was cool seeing multiple chapters that focused on different characters and there were a lot of moments where I was anxious wanting to know what would happen next. And it did patch some things up that weren't done in the original. I'd recommend anyone who liked the original game to play it and wouldn't mind seeing more direct sequels if they're as well-done as this one.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy IV The After Years   Final Fantasy IV The After Years 07v2DaMMon Feb 24, 2014 1:06 am

It was a perfectly fine sequel that made Edward and Edge even more awesome than they already were.
Back to top Go down
Paladin Cecil

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy IV The After Years   Final Fantasy IV The After Years 07v2DaMMon Feb 24, 2014 1:36 am

No arguments there.
A few of my favorite moments were Kain's chapter and Bahamut regaining his senses.
It'd rock if they did a re-release with voice acting.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy IV The After Years   Final Fantasy IV The After Years 07v2DaMMon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Personally I'm avoiding FFIV until they release a compliation that includes 3D versions of IV, Interlude and The After Years. Considering that if they made one now, it'd probably be a 3DS game, it would likely be in the style of Bravely Default and include voice-acting.

It's a little annoying that the only complete version of the story is the PSP game, done in the style of the PSP remakes of 1 and 2, and if you want the games in 3D your only option is on mobile phones and then you miss out on Interlude.

I dunno if the DS game had voice-acting (by your statements it appears to,) so I did a quick search and the 3D version of The After Years is lacking that.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy IV The After Years   Final Fantasy IV The After Years 07v2DaMMon Feb 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Taiyz wrote:
It's a little annoying that the only complete version of the story is the PSP game, done in the style of the PSP remakes of 1 and 2,
Actually it's done in the style of the GBA Remake of FFIV, and considering that the GBA version of FFIV is the canon one, it makes sense and fits. I personally don't see why lack of 3D and voice acting is such a big deal, especially for such an old RPG.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy IV The After Years   Final Fantasy IV The After Years 07v2DaMMon Feb 24, 2014 5:53 pm

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV:_The_Complete_Collection
"It includes updated 2D graphics on par with those of the PlayStation Portable versions of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II."

Is what I'm basing my statement on.
Back to top Go down
Paladin Cecil

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy IV The After Years   Final Fantasy IV The After Years 07v2DaMMon Feb 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Taiyz: The DS remake is almost worth playing just for the voice acting. Although it would've been nice if they could've had it in more scenes, you will definitely enjoy what you hear.
The characters are very well-cast and the performances will arguably make you like them even more.
If you liked Yuri Lowenthal in Tales of the Abyss, you'll definitely like him as Cecil. Troy Baker once told me that there's no part he can do wrong.
I also enjoyed Liam O'Brien as Kain, Karen Strassman as Rosa, Sam Riegel as Edward (who's also scheduled for Sac Anime along with Yuri), Talesin Jaffe as Edge and Michael McConnohie as FuSoYa.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy IV The After Years   Final Fantasy IV The After Years 07v2DaMMon Feb 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Taiyz wrote:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IV:_The_Complete_Collection
"It includes updated 2D graphics on par with those of the PlayStation Portable versions of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II."

Is what I'm basing my statement on.
Okay? I actually played it though, and indeed, the FFIV section is basically a straight up port of the GBA version while the TAY section is basically a slightly updated version of the original off of WiiWare.

Quote :
Liam O'Brien as Kain

While Liam did a decent job in the DS version as Kain, where his Kain voice really shined was in Duodecim. Damn he did a great job as Kain there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy IV The After Years   Final Fantasy IV The After Years 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy IV The After Years
Page 1 of 1