Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)

Go down 
+49
Zappa
autre_tales
Crystal Power
Drake
Lord Yggdrasill
Friendzie
Juanblue85
swordandshield
PanbanRichard
Scrawlers
Shy Link
Taiyz
King Cat the Sixth
CyborgZeta
Abicion
Silver Forte
NexeorF
Colour
Suikoden
Chosen of Mana
Slivendiferious
Emil12345
cutepresea
Varrius
Red_Rose
TempestBlade
Samaël
Zacewing
Ryu
Venom
Harbinger
Falcom
BlazingFiddlesticks
Lloyzerdk
senelcoolidge
Txn
Tenshigami
DylDawg
TimeFactor
Yume Hanabi
DreamSword
Hasta_Extermi
Zwei.0
Arn
Rainstorm
GroundhogDay
Moontoon
Sagadego
Dimentionalist
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Oh my freaking god, the translations are simple AWFUL. I only know animu japanese and I can tell.

*waiting for kaji's post*
Back to top Go down
GroundhogDay

GroundhogDay

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 4:20 pm

I didn't know Japanese (and still don't) when playing through DS Hearts, so I'll just take your word for it that the translation is bad.
Back to top Go down
Lloyzerdk

Lloyzerdk

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm starting to suspect that 8-4 isn't behind this localization. Some of those arte names are translated strangely. Like Raijinga is Blue Jet instead of something like Lightning Fang. And Cerberus Strike's name has been reverted to Triple Blossom, its Eternia name.
Back to top Go down
DylDawg
Amazing Dawg Idol
DylDawg

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Well, Kohaku/Amber/A$$ber's has a flower theme for her Final Fury, so Triple Blossom for her makes sense.

Galando is now just Gall (or his nickname?), and his Sougazan (?) is translated as Gnashing Fang.

Also, just pointing out:
If English Dub only: More audiences and Japanese voices cost more, they save money and can bring more games.
If English Subtitle only: Gamble title, and they'll save more money for them so that they can bring more games.

I mean, I'm pretty sure even with half-dubs, nisa (and atlus) still dubs their Vita games.

O_Oa
Back to top Go down
King Cat the Sixth

King Cat the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 5:25 pm

That Volga Jaws gameplay video is painful to look at. I mean, I know gameplay video isn't supposed to be a perfect play, but I don't see how being interrupted every other attack will convince new players to be interested. They don't even show the guard counter mechanic in all 3 videos, which is what made the R games great imo.
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 5:30 pm

DylDawg wrote:
Also, just pointing out:
If English Dub only: More audiences and Japanese voices cost more, they save money and can bring more games.
If English Subtitle only: Gamble title, and they'll save more money for them so that they can bring more games.
As I said on a0's blog the other day. I did rather not have a game localized than receive an awful localization. It's Chaos Wars all over again.
Back to top Go down
DylDawg
Amazing Dawg Idol
DylDawg

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 5:53 pm

I think I wrote that wrong, I'm not justifying the choices, more like I'm pointing out what fans say with Namco's choices. I'm laughing at this whole thing tbh
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 5:58 pm

Oh, I quoted for reference only. D:

This gonna be a good thing to troll to though. Razz
Back to top Go down
TimeFactor

TimeFactor

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Guy playing in trailers, y u no counter?
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Lloyzerdk wrote:
I'm starting to suspect that 8-4 isn't behind this localization. Some of those arte names are translated strangely. Like Raijinga is Blue Jet instead of something like Lightning Fang. And Cerberus Strike's name has been reverted to Triple Blossom, its Eternia name.

Yeah, Blue Jet is definitely strange, especially since, as you said, Lightning Fang would make alot more sense. Especially considering the Arte itself is related to Lightning Blade.

As for Triple Blossom, I'm fine with it since it's closer in name to its Japanese translation, as well as the aformentioned flower theme for Amber.

King Cat the Sixth wrote:
That Volga Jaws gameplay video is painful to look at. I mean, I know gameplay video isn't supposed to be a perfect play, but I don't see how being interrupted every other attack will convince new players to be interested. They don't even show the guard counter mechanic in all 3 videos, which is what made the R games great imo.

They never get anyone decent at the game to play for their trailers. Seems to be a trend with videogames in general, sadly.
Back to top Go down
Rainstorm
All-New!
Rainstorm

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 8:32 pm

I just...the no dub thing kinda bothers me, but I really see why they did it. Vita is a gamble I really do understand. I don't normally have a lot to complain about but some things are kind of jarring, like "You guys." when you can audibly hear Kohaku saying "Shing...Onii-chan..."...I mean all else is okay but, you can tell when someone is saying someone's name no matter the language, well I guess he is Kor here now and if you don't watch anime and don't speak Japanese you might not know what the word for big brother is but....

I find a lot of the decisions strange, arte names as mentioned, as well as small things that don't matter so much but just kind of look weird like Innes->Ines and Galando becoming...Gall of all things.

Honestly, I never really use Dual Audio (other than for skits in ToS), I like localization because I get to experience the small things, like understanding the words they say when they faint, get knocked over, or use an item on someone else. I really hope they at least add in victory quote/level up translations....

I'm still getting the game no doubt about it, but for once I do have my major qualms with how it was localized (I guess it doesn't help how biased I am towards Hearts in general). I'm really glad more people are going to get to experience the story, and I'll get to understand in full what they are saying during the new sidescenes like the Shing's ferris wheel ride with everyone and the new sidequests. However, with the way it was localized, this isn't much different from me using the translation script to play along with the game, not really what I hope for in a localization. Just my opinion, which may change when I actually get my hands on the final product.
Back to top Go down
Samaël
Kamen Rider
Samaël

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 10:16 pm

I wonder if they just rushed to get some gameplay out and haven't finalised the translation....
Back to top Go down
Rainstorm
All-New!
Rainstorm

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Dei wrote:
I wonder if they just rushed to get some gameplay out and haven't finalised the translation....

I really severely hope this is the case. I mean, I'm pretty sure they are going to AT LEAST add in the victory quote translation like Symphonia, so this is definitely not the finished product.
Back to top Go down
Lloyzerdk

Lloyzerdk

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMWed Jun 11, 2014 10:38 pm

Writing down all the arte names is suffering... They scroll by way too fast.

Does Hearts R have an option to turn off voices for text cutscenes but have them be kept in battles and anime cutscenes? Because I'm considering turning the voices off for cutscenes so that the translations seem less jarring. It's not like I don't have experience with reading the story, as I am a fan of zelda and older RPGs.

While I would have much preferred having a dub, this being a sub-only release at least gives the translators more freedom when writing the script, as they don't have to deal with lip flaps. As long as they can still keep the script and story faithful, having a more colorful script would be okay with me.
Back to top Go down
Zwei.0

Zwei.0

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMThu Jun 12, 2014 6:14 am

Is the translation done by a different team (because of GameStop)?
I wonder what the other languages will... uhm, read like. As far as I know GS sells the game in the US but not anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMThu Jun 12, 2014 8:49 am

I think the translation is being done by some european team and GS US just jumped on the bandwagon.

I HIGHTLY RECOMMEND READING THIS! This's waht I'm trying to tell you guys.
Back to top Go down
Suikoden
Tired
Suikoden

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMThu Jun 12, 2014 5:14 pm

Kaji makes some good points. The translation both feels and looks rushed. The English subtitles aren't a problem to me thankfully. Being able to understand something is better than nothing after all.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm grateful the West is getting ToH in some form but it wouldn't hurt to put some effort into it. Those arte names... dafuq.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMThu Jun 12, 2014 6:17 pm

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/11/tales-of-hearts-r-will-only-have-japanese-voice-overs.aspx

In other words it's cheaper to just use the voice clips that are already there rather than have people voice the characters the way they wrote them.
Back to top Go down
Lloyzerdk

Lloyzerdk

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMThu Jun 12, 2014 6:45 pm

So they listened to the vocal minority clamoring for Japanese voices... Now we're getting no dub and a questionable translation. Sigh...

I wonder if they'll bring over Innocence R too now that we know they're not opposed to doing this.

Suikiwiden wrote:
Kaji makes some good points.

That he does. Now that I think about it, a lack of contextual understanding does seem to be a major problem in most localizations. Actors may not voice characters' lines the way a game intends them to sound because they don't fully grasp the context of a particular scene or emotion, and translators may translate without context as well. I wonder how this problem could be lessened.

Last edited by Lloyzerdk on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMThu Jun 12, 2014 6:50 pm

I don't think it's Namco fault. It's probably GS.
Back to top Go down
DylDawg
Amazing Dawg Idol
DylDawg

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMThu Jun 12, 2014 7:12 pm

I read that and Kaji does make some good points.

If fan translations could reprogram parts of the game to include subs for battle quotes, why can't Namco?
Back to top Go down
Rainstorm
All-New!
Rainstorm

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMThu Jun 12, 2014 10:54 pm

I completely agree with everything Kaji is saying _-_ Ahhh....I echo again I'm glad its coming over but...I really hope the final product is pretty and nice and satisfying ;p They do seem to be in the processes I saw some point out ???'s in the menu and such.
Back to top Go down
CyborgZeta

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMThu Jun 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Aw shit, are we getting dubtitles? With no dub?!

Back to top Go down
Lloyzerdk

Lloyzerdk

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 12:17 am

I'm not sure how these could be dubtitles when the subtitles are longer or shorter than the time frame in which they're spoken.
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 12:32 am

Don't forget they meant less than hal of what the characters are acutally saying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 10 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)
Page 10 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next