Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)

Go down 
+49
Zappa
autre_tales
Crystal Power
Drake
Lord Yggdrasill
Friendzie
Juanblue85
swordandshield
PanbanRichard
Scrawlers
Shy Link
Taiyz
King Cat the Sixth
CyborgZeta
Abicion
Silver Forte
NexeorF
Colour
Suikoden
Chosen of Mana
Slivendiferious
Emil12345
cutepresea
Varrius
Red_Rose
TempestBlade
Samaël
Zacewing
Ryu
Venom
Harbinger
Falcom
BlazingFiddlesticks
Lloyzerdk
senelcoolidge
Txn
Tenshigami
DylDawg
TimeFactor
Yume Hanabi
DreamSword
Hasta_Extermi
Zwei.0
Arn
Rainstorm
GroundhogDay
Moontoon
Sagadego
Dimentionalist
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
CyborgZeta

Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 12:58 am

Lloyzerdk wrote:
I'm not sure how these could be dubtitles when the subtitles are longer or shorter than the time frame in which they're spoken.
I'm not sure either, but that's what it feels like.

I'm knowledgeable enough with Japanese to tell that those subtitles aren't entirely accurate with what's being said. Not as bad as actual dubtitles, but still somewhat jarring.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 1:58 am

Wow, GG Japanophiles, you fucktards.
Back to top Go down
Shy Link

Shy Link

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 3:36 am

While there are certainly things to be upset about, you guys are reaaaaaally overreacting about the translation. Questionable arte names aside, the translation is really inline with other JRPG localizations. You always get lines that are greatly different from the original Japanese, usually to lengthen them or add "flavor" to the repetitive and generic lines you can honestly get a lot of in Japanese. I didn't see any dialog changes in those trailers I haven't seen in other Tales games. You just never notice because you're listening to a dub and have nothing to alert you that something's wrong.

So it's not really the translation in and of itself that's bad (or depending on your point of view, any worse than your average JRPG's), it's just jarring without a dub. Maybe it wasn't decided there wouldn't be a dub until after the translation was well underway, who knows.
Back to top Go down
King Cat the Sixth

King Cat the Sixth

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 5:34 am

I don't mind the localization of the dialogues to be honest, I always find myself liking localized dialogues more than a direct translations. But the lack of dub certainly killed the mood.

Especially that Hisui's line. I love how Hisui's being pretty playful with his comment in the localized text, definitely better than just being angry and serious like the original Japanese voicework. If Hearts R were dubbed, I'm pretty sure no one would even care about the discrepancies, other than the purist faction of course.

The 'arte translation and archiving' faction is a whole different faction than the purist though, they are allowed to have legitimate complains.
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 9:38 am

Shy Link wrote:
While there are certainly things to be upset about, you guys are reaaaaaally overreacting about the translation. Questionable arte names aside, the translation is really inline with other JRPG localizations. You always get lines that are greatly different from the original Japanese, usually to lengthen them or add "flavor" to the repetitive and generic lines you can honestly get a lot of in Japanese. I didn't see any dialog changes in those trailers I haven't seen in other Tales games. You just never notice because you're listening to a dub and have nothing to alert you that something's wrong.

So it's not really the translation in and of itself that's bad (or depending on your point of view, any worse than your average JRPG's), it's just jarring without a dub. Maybe it wasn't decided there wouldn't be a dub until after the translation was well underway, who knows.
I've played Legendia and Abyss undub and their translation while not perfect they actually meant what the japanese dub are saying and the diablogue itself flows pretty good with the dub. In HeartsR they are not even transliterate, it's just a bunch of words put together. In the opening sequence Inca says something like "Found you." not moths going to burn on something or other.

The game won't have a dub both Namdai(US and EU) stated it.
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 9:47 am

Arn wrote:
I've played Legendia and Abyss undub and their translation while not perfect they actually meant what the japanese dub are saying and the diablogue itself flows pretty good with the dub. In HeartsR they are not even transliterate, it's just a bunch of words put together. In the opening sequence Inca says something like "Found you." not moths going to burn on something or other.
I haven't watched the video for a while and I don't really know the full context of the scene but I remember the character saying "found you"/"I see you" in Japanese in such a way that it was as the character expected. In which case, if they were being lead into some sort of trap, "like moths to a flame" would be a perfectly valid localization - and better than being a literal translation in my opinion. But it all depends on the context, which I am not sure of as I've never played the game.
Back to top Go down
Yume Hanabi
Yume Hanabi

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 1:26 pm

The way to translate, localize, is (supposed to be) different if you're translating for a dub or for a sub. What we're getting seems to be a dub translation, ignoring subtitling conventions, and that's why something seems off to some people. There would be no problem with the translation (well, aside from the fact that "moths to a flame" is kinda inaccurate here in this context) if we weren't getting a sub-only release...
Back to top Go down
http://yume-x-hanabi.tumblr.com
Lloyzerdk

Lloyzerdk

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 1:44 pm

How is a sub translation supposed to look, exactly?
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 2:12 pm

It should at least be more accurate towards the japanese translation and not made up shit, I completly agree with adaptations and they are necessary most of the time but ut changing the dialogue to either exaggerated(Moths to fire yada yada) or getting out of context(Hisui stupid nonexistent joke before the battle with the Sandworm).

Also keep in mind that Inca is almost like a emotionless robot so trying to give some kind of feeling to her dialogues is awful.

Last edited by Arn on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tenshigami
Hair Trigger Mage
Tenshigami

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Ok thanks Yume, that clears that up in that it wasn't even accurate to the context. Sounds like they decided to just "do it like we always do it" with the same teams and directors and such and then... not hand the script over to a dubbing team. Lame.

Edit: still gonna buy it to support more Tales games in the west, more JRPGs in the west, and more Vita localizations though.
Back to top Go down
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 4:39 pm

So what this I'm hearing about no subtitles for the victory quotes?  That's just silly.

Lloyzerdk wrote:

Does Hearts R have an option to turn off voices for text cutscenes but have them be kept in battles and anime cutscenes?

Don't Tales games usually have that option?

Tenshigami wrote:
Edit: still gonna buy it to support more Tales games in the west, more JRPGs in the west, and more Vita localizations though.

The lack of a dub should not be a barrier to anyone with a Vita when we're getting the game in the first place. And I say that as a non-importer who would avoid going full Japanese when he could. But then we discuss the series production and watch Japanese animated adaptations, so it really should not be much for anyone here.
Back to top Go down
Rainstorm
All-New!
Rainstorm

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 6:48 pm

The lack of dub isn't the issue so much as how they've written the script in accordance with the lack of dub, honestly I'm only prioritizing getting this game -because- its my 2nd favourite Tales game and because its Tales in general. (I also have faith that it won't be bad....some faith)
Back to top Go down
Dimentionalist

Dimentionalist

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMFri Jun 13, 2014 10:49 pm

DreamSword wrote:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/06/11/tales-of-hearts-r-will-only-have-japanese-voice-overs.aspx

In other words it's cheaper to just use the voice clips that are already there rather than have people voice the characters the way they wrote them.

I'm thinking this is PR speak for "a dub was too expensive considering the Vita is selling like crap, so we just left the original voices in since licensing that track was cheaper than a full dub." If Sony's #jrpgvita thing made Sony go to Namco and ask for them to translate the game, they're not going to diss the sales of Sony's systems in so many words so as not to burn any bridges. I highly doubt a vocal minority of fans made them shoot the marketability of this already niche game in the foot.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/EtherDimentionalist
BlazingFiddlesticks

BlazingFiddlesticks

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMSat Jun 14, 2014 12:00 pm

ShivKH wrote:
The lack of dub isn't the issue so much as how they've written the script in accordance with the lack of dub,

I'm not surprised, sadly; yeah, that's gonna be rough.
Back to top Go down
Dimentionalist

Dimentionalist

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMSat Jun 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Yet another explanation was given today for the lack of a dub today by Hideo Baba at Animecon.

He said a full dub would take more time and they wanted to get the game out as soon as possible. Still seems like they're trying to smudge the truth about cutting costs to me.
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMSat Jun 14, 2014 3:55 pm

They might be in need for more money to develop Zestiria too. I'm pretty sure most people will be more pleased to buy a undubbed game.
Back to top Go down
DreamSword
Handsome Hobo
DreamSword

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMSat Jun 14, 2014 4:13 pm

So he basically admitted that the localization was being rushed? That explains alot.
Back to top Go down
Emil12345

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMSat Jun 14, 2014 7:45 pm

Arn wrote:
They might be in need for more money to develop Zestiria too. I'm pretty sure most people will be more pleased to buy a undubbed game.

I for one would not be. I actually like to hear English voices.
Back to top Go down
Yume Hanabi
Yume Hanabi

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMSat Jun 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Honestly, I'd rather they put their all in Zestiria.

And the news that Hearts R's gonna have Japanese audio is what made me change my mind from "not interested" to "okay maybe I'll buy it" *hides*

Last edited by Yume Hanabi on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Arn
Tensoku Star
Arn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMSat Jun 14, 2014 9:28 pm

Zestiria will have dual audio? That's really awesome!

I don't care much for english dub because I think they don't really 'fit' on anime/japan games but it's not that I don't like them either(I don't like 6th gen FF games japanese dub and playing KH with japanese voices is terrible), also english is not my native language so I have a lot of trouble understanting most of the dubbed dialogue plus I always read faster than they speak so I usually only heard half of what is spoken.
Back to top Go down
Yume Hanabi
Yume Hanabi

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMSat Jun 14, 2014 9:42 pm

No, not Zesty, I mean Hearts R. Though it's probably likely that Zesty will get DA *crosses fingers*
Back to top Go down
Dimentionalist

Dimentionalist

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMSat Jun 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Yume Hanabi wrote:
No, not Zesty, I mean Hearts R. Though it's probably likely that Zesty will get DA *crosses fingers*

One of the European community managers mentioned that they were trying for it in Zestiria on a TalesFes stream. I don't think it would be an unreasonable assumption to think that they'll try to please everyone going forward, especially after the recent Hearts R backlash (not that I think a budget localization is indicative of what to expect from them in the future).
Back to top Go down
DylDawg
Amazing Dawg Idol
DylDawg

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMWed Jul 02, 2014 7:11 am

November 14 release date, but this may be the European release since it's on a Friday. Or the Gamestop exclusivity makes it a Friday release? The Namco and FB pages didn't have a separate release date for NA and EU like X2's.

One week before Pokemanz.
Back to top Go down
Zwei.0

Zwei.0

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMWed Jul 02, 2014 7:43 am

DylDawg wrote:

Clever... well, if it is NOT the European date.
Why do I have to wait a week longer? *turns into a three year old*
Back to top Go down
Txn
You > Evil
Txn

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaMWed Jul 02, 2014 10:58 am

DylDawg wrote:
Good old Namco Razz 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)   Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014) - Page 11 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Tales of Hearts R localization confirmed (Winter 2014)
Page 11 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next