Tales of Reservia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?

Go down 
+15
Twinrehz
ShirleyVaga
Roadie
Slivendiferious
PanbanRichard
DoubleL
Silver Forte
Jazzeh
Chosen of Mana
Moontoon
Bo Staff Katana
Tenshigami
Txn
Prinny
Taiyz
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMThu Jun 19, 2014 4:15 pm

I'm game!
Back to top Go down
ShirleyVaga
Not Shirley Fennes
ShirleyVaga

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMThu Jun 19, 2014 9:15 pm

sounds like fun ^-^
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMThu Jun 19, 2014 11:08 pm

I should finally have this as of Saturday.
Back to top Go down
DoubleL

DoubleL

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMFri Jun 20, 2014 12:29 am

I'd be down for a GP.
Back to top Go down
EEVILMURRAY

EEVILMURRAY

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMFri Jun 20, 2014 3:29 pm

I'm taking mine back for trade in. There's just something lacking that is making me not want this as part of my collection. You can be 1st in every race in a GP except for the last corner of the last lap of the last race and get shell'd, and even though you were miles ahead of the competition you find yourself finishing fifth. Losing out on the three stars. I've 3 star'd 50cc and 100cc but I haven't got the patience to go at it for 150cc.

Online is worse. It's mainly a scramble for the middle pack as everyone fights for third and second whilst first place is way out in front.

Battle mode blows. Nuff said.

Character roster is shite.

I got the Wonderful 101 as the free download so I won't miss out on trade in price.
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMFri Jun 20, 2014 5:50 pm

EEVILMURRAY wrote:
You can be 1st in every race in a GP except for the last corner of the last lap of the last race and get shell'd, and even though you were miles ahead of the competition you find yourself finishing fifth. Losing out on the three stars. I've 3 star'd 50cc and 100cc but I haven't got the patience to go at it for 150cc.
Glad I'm not the only one. Quite infuriating. This used to happen to me in Double Dash as well, but then I learned how to drift and utilize speed boosts and items properly. I imagine it'll be the same with MK8. Those tight corners on motorcycles man...
Though I must admit that my current hurdle to clear in MK8 is keeping my kart/ bike on the road in the first place.
Back to top Go down
PanbanRichard

PanbanRichard

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMFri Jun 20, 2014 9:57 pm

EEVILMURRAY wrote:
You can be 1st in every race in a GP except for the last corner of the last lap of the last race and get shell'd, and even though you were miles ahead of the competition you find yourself finishing fifth. Losing out on the three stars. I've 3 star'd 50cc and 100cc but I haven't got the patience to go at it for 150cc.

Online is worse. It's mainly a scramble for the middle pack as everyone fights for third and second whilst first place is way out in front.

Battle mode blows. Nuff said.

Character roster is shite.

Is this your first Mario Kart? All of this is commonplace in the series--except battle mode because yes they did screw that up.

So far, there are five of us who are interested in an online GP. Anyone else? Maybe we should have it in two weeks.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMFri Jun 20, 2014 10:08 pm

Didn't Jazz say we can just keep one going indefinitely or something? Not that I've done any research.

Mario Kart 7 was WAY worse when it came to this 3-star nonsense. The first two stars were based on very specific goals, the third was like some arbitrary ranking system that nobody could aptly describe, so even if you got in first place through an entire grand prix, you could still lose out on the third star because the game didn't like your driving.

The only thing I'm worried about in MK8 is how online play is balanced. Top speed was the way to go in MK7, if you played as somebody like Yoshi or Peach you just couldn't win unless enough Item Bullshit(tm) happened to give players with lighter karts and higher acceleration the advantage.

Kart customization is all well and good, but when you have to min-max to compete and can't design a kart that looks awesome, it's pointless.
Back to top Go down
PanbanRichard

PanbanRichard

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMFri Jun 20, 2014 10:25 pm

I never really liked the tournament feature in this game. It's not accurate due to point scaling based on the number of people who participate in a race. It's better to plan ahead and race realtime imo.

There haven't been any patterns I've seen online as of yet; it's just been a mish-mash of Karts, Bikes and ATVs. The gold set isn't even that good if I heard correctly. So far, it feels pretty balanced (outside of that Item BS.) atm but it's too early to say. You just need to utilize the shortcuts, drift well, and use items wisely in order to get better.

Looks like we're also getting the free Mercedes Benz DLC that Japan got in the summer.
Back to top Go down
Bo Staff Katana
Fatal Old Man
Bo Staff Katana

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMFri Jun 20, 2014 10:28 pm

I would be interested in joining an online GP. I think you can set up an online community that is always there. I will look into it once my little one goes to bed tonight.

Edit: Moved to a new post.

Last edited by Bo Staff Katana on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMFri Jun 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Gold parts mostly sucked in MK7 too.
Back to top Go down
Bo Staff Katana
Fatal Old Man
Bo Staff Katana

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMSat Jun 21, 2014 2:01 pm

Note: This was on my last post after I edited it last night, but I decided to move it here just so it wasn't overlooked.

You can set up a tournament to run daily, weekly, or for a fixed amount of time. I imagine it would be best to have a tournament run weekly, but that is just one opinion. You can choose the class, whether to have teams or not, what type of vehicles are allowed, the control method, whether to have computer players, and also whether to have it open to the public or have it be private with a code. As for the items, your options are all items, no items, no items and no coins, shells only, bananas only, mushrooms only, bob-ombs only, or frantic mode.

Again, this is just my opinion, and I am very open to changes in these matters, but if we were to set up a tournament, I would vote for 150cc, all items, computers allowed, no teams, all vehicles, all control types, and private tournament with a code placed in this thread. We could also have a couple of tournaments set up with differing options. What say you?
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMSat Jun 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Uh. That sounds pretty pointless if we're not actually playing against each other.

Also, I have the game now.
Back to top Go down
PanbanRichard

PanbanRichard

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMSat Jun 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah, the tournament mode basically puts you in races with whoever's online and if there's at least one person online for the tourney too, you two clash and build points off each other. Then the points are added and recorded for the tourney. The winner of the tournament is the one who gets the most points.

The reason why this doesn't work is that there's point scaling depending on the number of racers. So if there's the max 12, first places will get 15 points. If there's two racers, 1st gets only 3 points. You can remedy this by turning computers on, but at that point it's more of a competition of how good we are at GPs than actually racing against each other.

tl;dr - Don't play tournament mode because of its odd scoring system.
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMSat Jun 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Agreed. The Tournament Scoring system sucks.

How does coin collection work?
If you're playing with friends online, do the coins everyone collects count for everyone? Or do only your own coins count?
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMSat Jun 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Why would your opponents' coins count toward your total?
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMSat Jun 21, 2014 9:24 pm

I heard that if you play MK8 with friends offline, all coins collected count towards your total (which makes a lot of sense to me).
Why not do the same for online races with friends?
Back to top Go down
PanbanRichard

PanbanRichard

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMSat Jun 21, 2014 9:45 pm

At least you're having more fun playing with friends online than grinding for the coins on your own.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMSun Jun 22, 2014 1:51 am

Slivendiferious wrote:
I heard that if you play MK8 with friends offline, all coins collected count towards your total (which makes a lot of sense to me).
Why not do the same for online races with friends?
Because when you're playing offline, the only profile signed in is yours, presumably.

Edit: Huh. So maybe they balanced light racers by making glider shortcuts more difficult to access? I'm assuming that weight influences the height and distance of your glide. Even with Peach there are a couple that I can't reach, but maybe I'm just out of practice with the glider.

Also Sliv was actually right, apparently: http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Unlocking_criteria_2
Back to top Go down
Arrei

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMTue Jun 24, 2014 5:45 pm

I've finally got more time to play the vidja games, so how do these matches work?
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMWed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Is anybody gonna be around tomorrow afternoon? (Say, 12PM-5PM EST.) I have tomorrow off and want to try some multiplayer considering that I really can't any other time unless you guys stay up as late as I do.
Back to top Go down
Bo Staff Katana
Fatal Old Man
Bo Staff Katana

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMWed Jun 25, 2014 9:57 pm

I can usually find time to play during that time frame Taiyz, except for Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am usually free about 1 PM CDT, which is either 2 PM EDT or 2 EST, depending on whether daylight savings tie is observed. Otherwise, I am free about 10:30 PM CDT.
Back to top Go down
Slivendiferious
Quilvius
Slivendiferious

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMThu Jun 26, 2014 8:29 am

If I converted it correctly, I think I have time to race today at the same time as you Taiyz.
Back to top Go down
Taiyz
Admin Idol
Taiyz

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMThu Jun 26, 2014 6:16 pm

That was a blast, Sliv! Sorry about exiting so much, I didn't understand that we were creating a custom GP. That trophy at the end surprised me.

I think I'm gonna stick with Rosalina, Sherbert Land proved that I just get stuck in limbo without high speed.

Great course to end on BTW, I don't have the Lightning Cup unlocked yet. I like the courses without traditional laps and ones with NPCs throwing coins at you, like that piratey desert level, the latter is a great addition to the game, I wish there were more of the former (they debuted in MK7, right?) That Rainbow Road might be one of my favourite tracks! I also love courses with long flight sections and boost rings in the air, the music and the track's sound effects (terrain and the train) are wonderful. Good follow-up to Music Park, too!

Coins in general are fun to collect and a nice speed boost mechanic, they were the one thing missing from MK64, IMO. I also really like the headlights that come on when in tunnels. I think that's new? The more dynamic lightning is, the better. I wish there was a rainy course, though...
Back to top Go down
Moontoon
Admin
Moontoon

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaMFri Jun 27, 2014 2:26 am

I'd love to play some MK8 with someone soon again.
Back to top Go down
http://moontoon.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?   Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch? - Page 3 07v2DaM

Back to top Go down

Any of you going to get Mario Kart 8 at launch?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next